The new designed 2021 supercharger clutches, are they holding up?

I'm ready to upgrade my 2018 GP1800, and yes, I replaced the supercharger clutch. I've had my eye on the 2021 model after hearing they upgraded the clutch. I'm thinking that people have enough hours on them now to determine if it was a success or not.
    I found a good deal on a 2020 FZ SVHO, I may look into that one if the 21 models are still having issues.
    How effective is the blow off valve?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCski View Post
    I'm ready to upgrade my 2018 GP1800, and yes, I replaced the supercharger clutch. I've had my eye on the 2021 model after hearing they upgraded the clutch. I'm thinking that people have enough hours on them now to determine if it was a success or not.
    I found a good deal on a 2020 FZ SVHO, I may look into that one if the 21 models are still having issues.
    Mine lasted 10 hours.
    There may have been some other issues too though. I was also spinning 9300rpm and we race buoys.

holy shit!!! 10 hours. Is stock rpm 7600rpm?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCski View Post

I found a good deal on a 2020 FZ SVHO, I may look into that one if the 2021 models are still having issues.
    It is still unclear how much different the revised 27-sprag clutch is in terms of average or typical longevity, compared to the 24-sprag clutch.

Not all 2021 SVHO engines were built with the newer clutch, both are valid part numbers for the 2021 SVHO engine.

Yamaha did struggle with parts supply and assembly consistency issues during the 2021 manufacturing season. Apparently some examples were built incorrectly in various ways. Careful inspection would be needed to check for incorrect parts, such as transom plate. The clutch version cannot be checked without draining oil and taking the oil pump off.

My current view is that until plenty of 27-clutch equipped SVHO engines have accumulated at least 200 running hours on their clutches, the majority of clutches in service will not have worn out yet, new or old style.

My own two GP1800 SVHO with 2017 original clutches failed at 222 and more recently 350 hours. Both were replaced with new 24-sprag clutches. So I might not see another failed clutch until maybe 400 or 600 engine hours.

Riders who put a lot more hours per year on their SVHO engines will accumulate hours but useful statistics will require a lot of clutch replacement data. Yamaha probably has that data by now but even a large group of riders just won’t have gone through that many new style clutches, yet.

Some riders do manage to chew through the 24-sprag clutches in a hurry and I expect that the new 27-sprag clutches will not greatly change that. Some owners have reported replacing clutches every few dozen hours, sometimes with no further info regarding why that is happening.

Blow-off valve does not seem to affect/improve supercharger clutch lifespan for un-modified and lightly modified SVHO engines (such as Stage 1 Plus).
    BOV is often recommended for SVHO engines turning much higher RPM and much higher than stock supercharger boost levels.

I got about 70 hours out of mine. Stage 2 with an intercooler 8800rpm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRider View Post
    holy shit!!! 10 hours. Is stock rpm 7600rpm?
    No, thats 9300 rpm with methanol.

Thread Information