Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

How do you hoist or lift your ski in your garage or workshop?

I am looking for ideas on how I could lift or hoist my skis off of my trailer. I have a Triton two place trailer. I also have two Triton carts. My new garage will be a four car garage, so I have some room to move things around.

I realized that I could slide the skis on and off the trailer to the carts, but I am more interested in ways to lift them off the trailer and lower them onto the carts. Besides, the bunks on the trailer are much higher than the bunks on the carts, so sliding would be tricky regardless.

I can't imagine spending a ton on a crane. I don't have a forklift. Whatever the solution, I don't want the hoisting/rigging tool to take up too much room in my garage.

Do any of you guys lift/hoist your skis?

+1
    I have an I beam with electric hoist in my shop. Hard to put one in a residential garage.
    You will most likely need to consider cutting an access hole in the ceiling of your garage and hang a chain hoist from the joists or rafters.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDroneRacer View Post
    …

… I could slide the skis on and off the trailer to the carts … the bunks on the trailer are much higher than the bunks on the carts, so sliding would be tricky regardless. …
    For several years I had an overhead beam in my garage that would withstand the weight of a ski (you want circa one full ton of lifting capacity, to provide some weight capacity headroom). I also had a rather nice PWC sling that would lift a ski rather nicely. I have never lifted a ski to transfer to a cart using the hoist and sling.

My double Triton WC2-2 trailer is probably among the highest in terms of bunk distance to the ground. My approach is to use PWC carts that have high enough bunks that the height difference to the trailer is not a problem. I use Liquid Rollers (Dry Silicone Lube) on the trailer bunks to reduce sliding friction.

On level ground one person can shift my ski backwards from trailer to cart, but it is of course easier with two people. We can unload both skis from trailer to carts in minutes. Reloading onto the trailer is even easier, using the trailer winch strap.

It is also possible to use a holding strap/chain on the rear tow loop to transfer the hull onto the cart while driving the trailer slowly forwards. I use this method when the ground slope is working against me or the trailer bunks have high friction.

If your existing cart bunks are too low, consider modifying the PWC carts for more bunk height or shopping for taller carts.

Having a hoist and sling is a nice thing to have, and there may be times where that is the answer. But regularly lifting skis into the air, rolling the trailer away and rolling the cart underneath (or the reverse) involves risks. The ski weight is elevated, which itself creates potential energy. The ski will be hovering above open space while you move trailers and carts around. Lowering the ski may go badly, for whatever reason.

My approach is to not lift a ski if it is not necessary. I worked out how to slide skis on and off my trailer without lifting, and purchased/modified things to allow me to do so with reasonable effort. We have moved our skis on and off the carts using these methods hundreds of times.

+1
    K,
    What cart are you using with your trailer. It seems like the Aquacart 19 is popular for the non hoisting task.

I lifted my XPLs for years, but the new 4 strokes put a lot of weight on the bond rails that I am concerned about. My dealer uses long forks on his fork lift and doesn't lift them with a sling.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    K,
    What cart are you using with your trailer.
    It seems like the Aquacart 19 is popular for the non hoisting task.

… the new 4 strokes put a lot of weight on the bond rails …

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3152147

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3153992

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3110920

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3094038

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3085635

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3007602

Aquacart AQ-19

+1
    … 4 strokes put a lot of weight on the bond rails …
    When using a properly designed sling that securely hooks under the bond rail (aka rub rail, the bonded hull seam) I would not be concerned about somehow over stressing the hull materials.

Some shops regularly make use of lifting slings that attach under the bond rails.

Among the downsides to using any sort of PWC sling is that the hull can swing around or shift in the sling as the hull begins to lift, while it is elevated, and again as the hull begins to settle onto the trailer bunks or cart. This creates a possible hazard to people and fingers that may be guiding the hull into place.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I slide them off my double triton trailer to triton carts all the time. With 2 people it’s not hard. Even with the height difference it’s not hard. Slide the ski back off the bunks until it wants to tilt then Set the back of the ski on the cart where it needs to go. Move to the front of the ski and lift and let the cart roll with the back of the ski on it until you can lower the front of the ski onto the cart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    I slide them off my double triton trailer to triton carts all the time. With 2 people it’s not hard. Even with the height difference it’s not hard. Slide the ski back off the bunks until it wants to tilt then Set the back of the ski on the cart where it needs to go. Move to the front of the ski and lift and let the cart roll with the back of the ski on it until you can lower the front of the ski onto the cart.
    But, how do you get the ski back onto the trailer when its much higher than the Triton cart???

+1
    … how do you get the ski back onto the trailer when its much higher than the Triton cart???
    With the added bunk height from the 2” tall Triton double trailer bunk brackets on the Triton PWC cart, the remaining height difference is workable. The front of the hull is curved upwards where it meets the trailer bunks.

Snuggle the bow curve against the ends of the trailer bunks. Crank the trailer tongue jack as high as it will allow, which lowers the rear of the trailer bunks. The curve of the hull will lift the bow over the trailer bunk ends as the winch strap gains tension.

Start cranking the winch strap in and the hull will slide forward onto the trailer bunks.

If the trailer bunk carpet is in good condition around the board ends and has Liquid Rollers spray applied, it makes it much easier to get the bow to rise over the bunk ends.

If you change the casters to 5” size that gains a little more cart height.

If you add stout spacers between the caster mounting plates and the cart frame bottom you can choose what height the cart bunks will be at.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    When the rear of the ski is overhanging the cart rear by the correct amount, I stop moving the hull and attach a strap from the cart frame behind the hull and up to the tow loop. This prevents the ski from sliding any further back on the cart.

Tip: The front edge of the ride plate should be positioned near the rear end of the cart bunks. That places the engine weight over the center portion of the cart, which is the heaviest thing in the hull. The bow will overhang the cart more than the rear.

I also strap the cart front end to the rear of the trailer before I start off-loading the ski. This helps keep the cart inline with the trailer and prevents it from rolling away while I wrestle the ski rearwards.

I do not undo the front strap from the trailer until I have attached the rear strap between cart and ski.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information