Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Kinda surprising that Triton doesn't make their cart the same height as their trailers, at least the ones with 12 inch tires.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    But, how do you get the ski back onto the trailer when its much higher than the Triton cart???
    I put the winch strap on he ski and then lift the front of the ski onto the bunks. Putting it back on the trailer is easier than taking it off.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Triton doesn't make their cart the same height as their trailers …
    The Triton PWC carts are something of an accidental product from Triton Trailers.

Their dealers would sell stacks of the Triton aluminum trailers and wanted similarly nice PWC carts to use in their showrooms, or in their service shop. Triton worked out a PWC cart design that could be built using the metal off-cuts and other existing parts from trailer production.

When their trailer production line had a quiet period, they would make a batch of PWC carts to keep the factory floor busy, and then ship them to the dealers inside Triton box trailers that were being shipped to each dealer region already. When the trailer manufacturing line was busy, no carts would be made.

The dealers liked the carts and knew how to order them, but the PWC carts were not posted on the Triton public web site. Eventually people like me noticed the Triton carts and wanted to buy them. As word got around, Triton eventually decided to make the carts an actual product for the public, and it eventually showed up on the Triton web site.

The Triton PWC cart bunk height is fairly close to the height of the single Triton PWC trailers with the curved cross frame. The Triton cart uses the same bunk brackets and bunks as the low profile single Triton PWC trailer.

Because the Triton PWC carts are built the same way as the Triton PWC trailers, using the same parts, things like bunks and bunk brackets are interchangeable between the trailers and the carts. Which is why I can buy a set of taller Triton bunk brackets and they just bolt right in.

+1
    I checked on some pricing today on the Triton cart. I was blown away that it comes in $500-$550. That's nuts. I bet that price doesn't include the taller mounts either........

+1
    I checked on some pricing today on the Triton cart. I was blown away that it comes in $500-$550. That's nuts. I bet that price doesn't include the taller mounts either........
    That probably includes the caster kit. The caster kit they sell for some reason is very expensive. I put my own casters on it. You can find nice double locking casters for 20 bucks or so each online.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    That probably includes the caster kit. The caster kit they sell for some reason is very expensive. …
    The 4” casters included in the kit from Triton are quite nice.

The wheel brake locks have a secure positive engagement and the unlocked wheels roll very smoothly.

We’re Always Around branded casters made by Durable Superior

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD3F4BA8-8496-43D8-902F-183477720314.jpeg 
Views:	121 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	482015  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The 4” casters included in the kit from Triton are quite nice.

The wheel brake locks have a secure positive engagement and the unlocked wheels roll very smoothly.

We’re Always Around branded casters made by Durable Superior

Im not knocking the quality of the casters with the triton carts. When I bought my carts in 2018 the triton caster kit was 200 bucks. I put 5 inch double locking casters with polyurethane wheels on my carts for 60 bucks. I’d be willing to bet they want 300 bucks now for that caster kit.

I have bought casters here before

https://thecasterguy.com/

+1
    I have two Triton carts with the 4" wheels. All eight wheels have the locks. Another nice thing about the carts is that they are made from lightweight aluminum, so picking them up and moving them around is pretty easy.

I received two cans of liquid rollers right after Christmas. I sprayed the bunks on the trailer a couple days later. My wife and son were on the skis in the water. Unfortunately, the bunks were wet, so I don't know how that will affect the application. We haven't been out since.

I need to do a few things:
    1. Purchase and install the optional brackets for the carts which will lift the bunks.
    2. Adjust / optimize the bunks on the trailer. They sit kind of high as it is. <-- Doing this will allow me to launch the skis at the ramp without having to put the trailer in as deep into the water.
    3. Different subject, but I need to change the bow rollers to the orange ones that K447 uses.

I started this thread with the hope of finding a way to put my ski on a cart that was much lower to the ground than the trailer. Working on the inside of the skis when sitting on the trailer is very difficult. Perhaps I will build an elevated flat platform [out of studs and plywood] to place next to the cart and ski so I can have easier access from the top.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDroneRacer View Post
    I have two Triton carts with the 4" wheels. …

… build an elevated flat platform [out of studs and plywood] to place next to the cart and ski so I can have easier access from the top.
    Consider building the elevated platform to hook over the side rail on the Triton PWC cart. Basically a metal lip (L or U extrusion) under the flat plywood to create a metal channel that fits over the cart side rail, and then a matching height vertical ‘step’ under the outside edge of the platform. That way the platform cannot slide away from the cart, and the cart cannot roll away from the platform.

Make two, one for each side
    Might even be able to make the two platforms nest together for storage.

Liquid Rollers works better when applied to dry bunks. I have done it in the launch ramp parking lot after a day’s riding, before re-loading, but it takes a long time for the wet carpet to fully dry, even sitting in the sun all day.

So I try to unload the skis onto carts at home and wait a few days for the bunks to fully dry, then apply the Liquid Rollers spray. The spray itself drys fairly quickly once applied.

While the skis are off the trailer I will also check bunk bolts, winches, etc. I find the lag screws that go into the bottom of the bunk boards tend to work loose over time. And sometimes the bunk support brackets get twisted more than I would like, which can stress the long pivot bolts and the lag screws.

+1
    I don’t understand the obsession with the cart being the same height as the trailer. It’s no problem at all moving a ski from a taller trailer to a lower cart with 2 people pulling the ski off the trailer. A lower cart makes the ski a little easier to work on too. All this talk of making platforms or whatever is just overthinking and over designing for a problem that doesn’t or shouldn’t exist. Even with a lower cart I can put the ski back on the trailer all by myself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information