Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which GP for shredding and exploring?

Hello all, Cool forum. It has been 20 years since I have owned a ski (Kawi X2, JS and Stx 1100). Rented a wave runner in Mexico and have the bug again. After research, I am set on the GP, but which one, HO or SVHO? It will be used for shredding on the lake. I realize I won't be able to do porpoises or subs like a stand up, but I think I can still have fun on a barge. I intend to also use the ski (what's the slang term for a waverunner?) for exploring on the nature coast in Florida and also up in mid coast Maine.
    The other question is, I have the habit of revving the engine like a two stroke, especially when shredding. Would that negatively effect the super charger or any other components on a 4 stroke ski? Thank in advance for your time.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by The fish guy View Post
    … GP[1800R], but which one, HO or SVHO? It will be used for shredding on the lake. …

… I have the habit of revving the engine like a two stroke, especially when shredding. Would that negatively effect the super charger or any other components on a 4 stroke ski?. ...
    What exactly do you mean by ‘revving like a 2-stroke’?

Why are you looking at the GP1800R instead of the smaller and more toss-able Yamaha JetBlaster (formerly the EXR)

Do you have a video example of what you mean by ‘shredding’?

Thank you for the reply. Revving, as in constantly revving the throttle, which was how you operated a two stroke ski and atv. Well the Jet Blaster is under powered and not as conducive to exploring on the ocean in mid coast Maine. Shredding, was a term we used in the early 90's, tearing up the water, doing free style, spinning around. porpoises, submarines. Seems like you might have an idea, as you suggested the blaster, but I don't know if the blaster will fit my needs for a dual purpose machine.

+1
    … Revving, as in constantly revving the throttle, which was how you operated a two stroke ski and atv.

Well the Jet Blaster is under powered and not as conducive to exploring on the ocean in mid coast Maine. Shredding, was a term we used in the early 90's, tearing up the water, doing free style, spinning around. porpoises, submarines.

… I don't know if the blaster will fit my needs for a dual purpose machine.
    I suggest you need to test ride a GP1800R. These things are very different from the 2-stroke PWC of thirty years ago.

Those old carburetor 2-stroke engines often needed frequent throttle blips to avoid the engine bogging from sloppy fuel mixtures.

A constantly twitching throttle finger is not helpful with a near 300 HP supercharged engine. You risk premature wear of the supercharger clutch as it cycles with every throttle blip. Some of us get 200, maybe 300 running hours on a Yamaha clutch. Other riders get maybe 20-40 hours before their clutch begins slipping and needs replacement.

The GR1800R hull is not only larger than the 1990 models, it has more buoyancy. Sure, you can spear a wave and momentarily stuff the nose under water, but overall it will want to stay on top of the water. The hull design and sponson configuration is designed to grip the water in turns.

Can you get it to power slide? Yes, but not nearly the same as those old 2-stroke hulls, especially the rounded flat bottoms.

Supercharged SVHO vs HO non-supercharged, the power difference is greater than the total engine power of many early 1990’s PWC.

The HO powered GP1800R is a very nice ski. Balanced power to weight, reasonably fuel efficient (for a PWC), good handling and reasonable ride quality.

The SVHO version of GP1800R is aggressively powered, stock. And even more so with modest aftermarket upgrades. An acceleration rocket. But you might find it frustrating if you are wanting to whip and spin it around, frequently ventilating the impeller and losing thrust.

The Yamaha EXR/JetBlaster I would not say is underpowered. It is about as close as you can get (in a brand new PWC) to the appeal of a 1990 era 2 seater in terms of being tossable and generally playful.

The Seadoo Spark is similar but different. I find the Spark hull to be too bouncy on non-smooth water, fatiguing to ride for distance.

Great info. I am not familiar with super chargers, but guessed that they probably don't like constant variation of throttle. So I guess the HO will be a better choice, considering the info you gave me. What got me started in this was renting a vx in Mexico. It was vastly under powered compared to my Hi Po. Kawi X2, which felt like it would rip your arms out, when hitting full throttle at a stand still.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Great info. I am not familiar with super chargers, but guessed that they probably don't like constant variation of throttle. So I guess the HO will be a better choice, considering the info you gave me. What got me started in this was renting a vx in Mexico. It was vastly under powered compared to my Hi Po. Kawi X2, which felt like it would rip your arms out, when hitting full throttle at a stand still.

Or you get the svho and learn throttle control. It won’t take long. I own both the ho and svho version. If you want any kind of performance the svho is a no brainer.

+1
    … renting a vx in Mexico. It was vastly under powered …
    Rental PWC tend to be power reduced. Not only are they generally the smallest engine available in that model, often the ECU tune is set to further limit engine power. And the engine in that rental may have a thousand or more running hours.

The rental operator is looking to maximize engine lifespan despite a constant flow of newbie riders. Limiting engine power reduces engine stress and also reduces the risk of newbies hurting themselves.

I have never ridden a rental PWC that was anywhere near even HO performance, let alone SVHO.

If at all possible find ways to test ride the different models you are considering. Reports from others will only get you so far.

If there are local riding groups see if you can meet up with them somewhere and talk to the owners. If they really, really like you, some may offer to let you ride their machine. Just don’t expect such offers, as most experienced riders know the quickest way to damage a PWC is to let someone else ride it.

Nope, full powered, I then asked to rent their so called H.O. vx that was flashed, it was faster, but eh. I have always tuned my vehicles and toys for more power and speed. I am sure I will be tuning the GP right out of the box. These barges are very easy to ride compared to the old school stuff, which didn't have the hull design of today, not to mention being more narrow and shorter, as well as not floating up right unless under power. Most people trying the older skis couldn't do it, either because of not being athletic enough or frightened. Today skis, just jump on and hit the throttle, no balance or skill required, which does make it a more relaxing, enjoyable ride. Have you ever mastered an old ski from the late 80"s early 90's? They are a lot of fun, but do require quite a bit of maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Or you get the svho and learn throttle control. It won’t take long. I own both the ho and svho version. If you want any kind of performance the svho is a no brainer.
    Thank you for the input Mr GP. I really want the SVHO, but am afraid of trashing the Super Charger through misuse. Do you do much shredding with the SVHO and if so, any issues?

+1
    As mentioned. The new EX Blaster or a Spark are the closest ski you will get to resembling anything close to any classic 2 stroke of old. I've not personally rode any EX, but have ridden the sparks a little. I've also ridden many newer supercharged models. Ranging from the GP to FX, RXPX, etc. They handle nothing like any 2 stroke that was ever available. Two vastly different riding styles/characteristics.

If it is the classic "thrashing around" you are after, then you would be well ahead to get something closer to that design. The new performance go fast skis just aren't built/designed for that kind of riding. This isn't to say they aren't a blast to ride in the way they are meant to be ridden...

My personal opinion, from all the various skis I've had opportunities to ride, is the first gen RXP/RXPX skis are a decent "middle-ground" between their ability to be tossed around/spin and their all out speed/acceleration. I've always been a Yamaha guy at heart and hope to get a FZR or atleast a chance to ride one to compare it to how my RXPX is. If it is close, I will be getting a FZR. I absolutely love their look to boot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information