Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Just get an svho, if you beat the clutch up too much, go turbo.

2. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by The fish guy View Post
    Hello all, Cool forum. It has been 20 years since I have owned a ski (Kawi X2, JS and Stx 1100). Rented a wave runner in Mexico and have the bug again. After research, I am set on the GP, but which one, HO or SVHO? It will be used for shredding on the lake. I realize I won't be able to do porpoises or subs like a stand up, but I think I can still have fun on a barge. I intend to also use the ski (what's the slang term for a waverunner?) for exploring on the nature coast in Florida and also up in mid coast Maine.
    The other question is, I have the habit of revving the engine like a two stroke, especially when shredding. Would that negatively effect the super charger or any other components on a 4 stroke ski? Thank in advance for your time.
    Welcome back to the sport!

The new skis are bigger, but with that said if you go SVHO you're basically purchasing a rocket ship.
    The GP handles like its on rails, it will try and throw you off long before you can flip it
    So much more reliable than the old 2-strokes.
    Fuel consumption isn't terrible if you ride modestly, one tank last me all day while cruising.

Don't let anyone try and convince you the newer skis are big an boring, chances are those individuals have yet to get on a modern ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    Welcome back to the sport!

Don't let anyone try and convince you the newer skis are big an boring, chances are those individuals have yet to get on a modern ski.
    I don't think anyone is saying they are simply a boring ski.

"It will be used for shredding on the lake." and "Shredding, was a term we used in the early 90's, tearing up the water, doing free style, spinning around. porpoises, submarines." If that is what he is after then he might not be super fond of the way the modern performance oriented skis handle. This isn't necessarily saying a GP is boring, but for someone who is after a playful, nimble, classic two stroke like ride they just might be boring in that regard.

They are still rocket ships, and they are still a blast to ride. But they aren't even in the same category of ride style as say a Waveraider/Ultra 150/GSX-L type ski, let alone even a WB1 or early 90s anything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying they are simply a boring ski.

"It will be used for shredding on the lake." and "Shredding, was a term we used in the early 90's, tearing up the water, doing free style, spinning around. porpoises, submarines." If that is what he is after then he might not be super fond of the way the modern performance oriented skis handle. This isn't necessarily saying a GP is boring, but for someone who is after a playful, nimble, classic two stroke like ride they just might be boring in that regard.

They are still rocket ships, and they are still a blast to ride. But they aren't even in the same category of ride style as say a Waveraider/Ultra 150/GSX-L type ski, let alone even a WB1 or early 90s anything.
    I have both the GP and the EX. I wouldn't say I go "shredding", But the EX is much more playful and you can blip throttle, hammer down, do 180's and sort of submarine. Ive also rolled it 3 times (with a passenger) (52mph)

The GP is scary fast, It is currently running 87, but even stock, it has some serious power. You can horse around at very low speeds and jump wakes great, but it has thrown me plenty of times and never once been bottom up.

+1
    We bought our first PWC's last spring. A FX SVHO, and a VX HO. We put 100 hours on them each last season.

I'll say this: If you plan to make go-faster modifications, you'll want the SVHO. There's a lot more opportunity and potential there to unlock.

The HO is plenty fast, and there is ample power to motivate these boats, but the SVHO is faster.

Between our two ski's the SV walks right out ahead in a race, and keeps on walking as it has a faster top speed as well. This is stock. They both reach top speed very quickly.

It may not matter to a lot of buyers of these machines, but I'll just note that the SV costs more to run in fuel. We do a lot of cruising slower than 45 to keep the SV from sucking down the fuel tank in short order, but even still, for every 6 gallons the HO burns, the SV burns 7. It'll burn more if we go faster. The SV requires higher octane, which costs more. I'll let you do the math.

Best of luck in your decision, but it would probably be best if you could get a chance to ride the smaller EX hull (jet blaster) and compare to the larger GP hull. I personally prefer our VX despite it being slower because of the more playful attitude in the water. They're not much different in size or shape, but those small differences matter.
    Last edited by K447; 01-17-2022 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Jet blaster

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by anton74 View Post
    We bought our first PWC's last spring. A FX SVHO, and a VX HO. We put 100 hours on them each last season.

I'll say this: If you plan to make go-faster modifications, you'll want the SVHO. There's a lot more opportunity and potential there to unlock.

The HO is plenty fast, and there is ample power to motivate these boats, but the SVHO is faster.

Between our two ski's the SV walks right out ahead in a race, and keeps on walking as it has a faster top speed as well. This is stock. They both reach top speed very quickly.

It may not matter to a lot of buyers of these machines, but I'll just note that the SV costs more to run in fuel. We do a lot of cruising slower than 45 to keep the SV from sucking down the fuel tank in short order, but even still, for every 6 gallons the HO burns, the SV burns 7. It'll burn more if we go faster. The SV requires higher octane, which costs more. I'll let you do the math.

Best of luck in your decision, but it would probably be best if you could get a chance to ride the smaller EX hull (jet blaster) and compare to the larger GP hull. I personally prefer our VX despite it being slower because of the more playful attitude in the water. They're not much different in size or shape, but those small differences matter.
    The FX is quite a bit heavier than the VX though. A gp svho vs ho under 45mph should be pretty damn close on MPG. If not identical.
    I still think the OP should ride a new waveblaster (EX-R)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper9789 View Post
    The FX is quite a bit heavier than the VX though.)
    The weight difference doesn't explain it. Dry weight specs says 46 pounds more for our FX. In our case, add riders, and the VX is the heavier PWC by over 50 pounds.

I will concede the point that the hulls are different, and the FX displaces more water.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The weight difference doesn't explain it. Dry weight specs says 46 pounds more for our FX. In our case, add riders, and the VX is the heavier PWC by over 50 pounds.

I will concede the point that the hulls are different, and the FX displaces more water.
    Which model year is your FX?

+1

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    With the change to SMC material for the 2022 FX hull, Yamaha also changed the ride plate and made some other tweaks. Two different ride plates is my understanding, 2022 FX HO and 2022 FX SVHO are not the same.

The net seems to be that the 2019-2021 FX hull (I think I have those model years correct) with the stock ride plate tends to keep the bow lower in the water on plane, which creates more water drag. And more bow spray onto the rider.

This is one of the reasons that performance upgrades for the 2019-2021 FX SVHO always includes a ride plate upgrade.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3142143

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information