Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hull Repair

Hull Repair

I just picked up a 1999 GTX that runs good but has hull damage. Iíve already acquired a 2000 Millennium GTX hull to swap but really donít want to.

Here are some pics of the damage, only thing that concerns me is the oil stains in the rear. Is it worth repairing or just do hull change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA833D8E-F207-456E-9353-BF0A5526102B.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	481891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10F51A00-1984-4E83-8EF3-3EE8D1F9777B.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	481892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D71A3683-9890-424C-ACEC-C7948915E4B3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	481893  

This damage is due to prior owner driving on the trailer without a bunk, basically bow to stern. I know there is an inner bottom in these hulls so why I’m attempted to do the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    This damage is due to prior owner driving on the trailer without a bunk, basically bow to stern. I know there is an inner bottom in these hulls so why Iím attempted to do the repair.
    That looks repairable.....Look up SMC fiberglass repair for more info on working with these hulls.

Thanks I’ll look it up.

+1
    First, jack the side up and get the ski leaned over some. You'll need to degrease and wash that oily area.......many times. When it's pretty clean looking, use non flammable brake cleaner and a heat gun or hair dryer to 'sweat' out remaining oils and flush them away. When it's clean and dry it's ready to repair. I've been using the 'Amazing' clear epoxy available at Hobby Lobby for repairs. I did the research on full MSDS sheets and it's the same stuff as the much more expensive West Systems epoxy resin. You'll also need a thickener, I use 1/4" chopped glass strands. You can buy a bag full of them online. Mix the epoxy, add in the thickener, spread it on pushing it into the area, then use duct tape to hold it there until the next day.....the tape will come right back off of the cured epoxy. Only fill about 1/4" at a time. When your done, sand it smooth and coat it with some appliance white epoxy paint.
    Last edited by Myself; 01-21-2022 at 10:50 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Ö the 'Amazing' clear epoxy available at Hobby Lobby

Ö I did the research on full MSDS sheets and it's the same stuff as the much more expensive West Systems epoxy resin. ...
    Can you post a link to the correct product from Hobby Lobby?

One issue I can't resolve is the glass used on outer hull. Some places say SMC manual says fiberglass so I'm still searching for that answer. Either way I'm going to have to remove the ride plate because the damage goes slightly around the corner.

+1

Well I finally got around to removing the engine, hood and handlebars off the GTX had an old boat trailer here so I built some legs for it out of some rough cut pine to put it upside down. Nice thing is the legs can be removed easily for bunks for jet ski use.

Myself you did get me to thinking about fillers. After looking at the areas right side up I don't think its as bad as it looks. I have some Devcon plastic putty I used to bed rifle stocks with, very hard its actually hard enough to machine. Going to do some research to see if its usable on fiberglass or just try to put a few old pieces together with it to see how it holds up. To be honest except for a spot in the front and the little pinhole in the rear I considered using marine tex.

+1
    Devcon makes great products. Just make sure it's waterproof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information