2022 GP1800R HO Loose Steering Column

Hi guys,

I just picked up my new 2022 GP1800R HO over the weekend and after getting it home I was checking over everything. I immediately noticed the handlebars had some side to side, up and down play in it.
    I've talk to quite a few other GP1800 owners and people who have rode these and it seems some have the similar issue and others do not.

I think i've narrowed it down to the tilt system and from what I've gathered it's just the way it is and no way to fix it.

Coming here as a final approach to ask some of you guys if you've had this out of these new skis and if it's an issue I need to speak with my dealer about or not.

Thanks!

A little loose up and down is normal. It is easy enough to tighten up, literally 10 minutes.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately there’s nothing to tighten unless I’m over looking something. I went up underneath the column and tried to tighten it more but that thing was already hulk tight. here’s a pic of what I was going after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311D3A20-EADE-4174-BC62-38F39434D38C.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	481866  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Coledaddy View Post
    Hi guys,

I just picked up my new 2022 GP1800R HO over the weekend and after getting it home I was checking over everything. I immediately noticed the handlebars had some side to side, up and down play in it.
    I've talk to quite a few other GP1800 owners and people who have rode these and it seems some have the similar issue and others do not.

I think i've narrowed it down to the tilt system and from what I've gathered it's just the way it is and no way to fix it.

Coming here as a final approach to ask some of you guys if you've had this out of these new skis and if it's an issue I need to speak with my dealer about or not.

Thanks!
    This is the best way to fix that in Iím opinion

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...ducts_id=11250

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Ö thereís nothing to tighten unless Iím over looking something.

Ö that thing was already hulk tight. Ö

You are not tightening the steering column, you will be adjusting the vertical slack.

Have someone move the handlebars and steering column up and down while you watch from below.

I suspect you will see the white plastic collar move up and down with the column. To adjust I think you loosen the bolt through the collar, then slide the collar up against the lower bushing while the person above holds the handlebars down.

Re-tighten the collar bolt, then check whether it is now a little too tight or has just the right amount of friction as you steer left-right full travel. Adjust to suit taste. You do not want it to be too tight or it may bind as temperatures change.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You are not tightening the steering column, you will be adjusting the vertical slack.

Have someone move the handlebars and steering column up and down while you watch from below.

I suspect you will see the white plastic collar move up and down with the column. To adjust I think you loosen the bolt through the collar, then slide the collar up against the lower bushing while the person above holds the handlebars down.

Re-tighten the collar bolt, then check whether it is now a little too tight or has just the right amount of friction as you steer left-right full travel. Adjust to suit taste. You do not want it to be too tight or it may bind as temperatures change.
    I see what you’re saying however when you loosen that bolt the collar isn’t supposed to move up or down as there appears to be a cutout to guide the bolt at the bottom of the column
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F34E206-7E70-402C-A429-409F4497761B.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	481874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F34E206-7E70-402C-A429-409F4497761B.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	481873  

Bump

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Bump
    Can you quantify how much vertical travel and how much side-to-side play there is in your handlebar column?

Is it 1mm of vertical travel?

How much side-to-side?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Can you quantify how much vertical travel and how much side-to-side play there is in your handlebar column?

Is it 1mm of vertical travel?

How much side-to-side?
    I would estimate right at 1/4 of an inch maybe a little less. I can also see the the tilt bar handle move a tad when I’m moving the bars which make me assume it’s within the tilt system.
    after speaking to some guys who have rode these ‘22 models some say they have the same play and it’s just the nature of the setup and some say they do not so I’m at a loss right now if it’s supposed to do this.

My only concern is if it will get worse over time..

Thread Information