Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question engine running good but no move

my problem start from me.i forget to put back water plugs, engine compartment was full of water but i didn't know that and tried to start it. after 5 minutes of nothing i open the seat and was shocked. like you understand i got water everywhere i mean carburetor engine...
    i did rebuild carb. which was pretty easy. did open head and clean everything inside using carb cleaner and gasoline. did replace spark-plugs and after 10 minutes spinning starter engine start.
    right after idling without water( 30sec.-1min) i took it to lake. it start, engine was running but jet wasn't moving. Did bring it back home, recharge battery and start it again, connected to water. and everything was ok. it was running for 15 minutes with no issue. but one thing scared me. when you open throttle, engine running faster but no water is pushing from jet pump. i did check impeller for anything sucked in or damage, but no. its in perfect condition. clean and nice. so i took it to the lake again. same thing was in the water. engine starts, running but no moving. with one - but.
    its moving reverse. super ultra slow, like its just idling(even if throttle 100% open). bucket in forward position but its moving reverse. when i set reverse bucket in reverse position - nothing changes. it still moving reverse on idling speed.
    also pump which taking water for engine cooling doesn't work. because i can see smoke from nozzles at the front of pwc but no water. i did inspect it for dirt or weed but it clean.

conclusion: engine running. lots of smoke but i think its because i'm adding oil to gas.
    impeller looks ok, no dirt or anything. impeller moving. but jet ski not moving or moving reverse and not cooling engine.

any ideas what should i inspect or check?
    and super dumb question but i have to ask - is it any chance engine or impeller, some how, can change direction of rotation?
    on my knowledge jetski's, old one, engine connected directly to impeller, which is mean it can not change rotation direction.

i'm sorry if something doesn't make sense, english is not my 1st language

+1
    Welcome aboard, elektromouse!

What model of 'Ski is this? When you put the shifter in Forward, does the reverse bucket raise up?

Do not run the engine without water for more than about 15 seconds. When running it on the flush hose, start the engine, THEN turn on the water. Turn off the water, THEN turn off the engine. NEVER allow the water hose to flow when the engine isn't running!

this is yamaha waverunner xlt800
    Yes revers bucket working corectly. when in forward its up.

another thing what i notice, when i was running on a hose i notice it was sucking in exhaust gasses inside inmpeller pump. not crazy but you can see how smoke flow inside jet pump. which is also make me think empeller spining in oposite derection.

Had some time to do some research and found out that 2 stroke engines could be start on both directions. Clockwise and counter clockwise.
    now my problem - how to start it on opposite directions? Things i took off when was cleaning from water not suppose to change the working directions. But i could change some thing and didn’t understand that.
    i did took off carburetor, 2 pieces of exhaust pipe and piston head. I did spin engine with hand, just pushing piston down. To clean water and bad oil. Could that change anything?
    am i wrong?
    anybody know how start 2 stroke engine in opposite direction.

+1
    Yes, a 2-stroke engine will run in reverse, but the ignition timing will be wrong and it won't run well. You would need a starter that turns it backwards.

Did this ever run correctly before it was flooded with water?

You can look inside the jet pump to see which way the impeller must turn to go forward. Remove the spark plug wires and have a helper push the Start button while you watch the impeller turn. If it turns backwards, you need to change the starter.

I've heard that these starter motors are use in another application which turns the opposite direction, so it's possible that yours is wrong.

yes it was working perfectly fine day before i flooded it.

"I've heard that these starter motors are use in another application which turns the opposite direction, so it's possible that yours is wrong." - so, technicaly, some switch or combination of steps will turn my starter in to the right direction? or i missed understed you?

i will try to check direction on starter and runing engine tomorrow.

+1
    If it ran OK before, then it's not trying to start in the wrong direction.

I don't think you can change the direction of the starter without re-wiring the brush plate inside the starter (not certain, I'd have to research it more).

You may have a problem with striped splines on the driveshaft of something like that.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I don't think you can change the direction of the starter without re-wiring the brush plate inside the starter (not certain, I'd have to research it more).

You may have a problem with striped splines on the driveshaft of something like that.
    Not to mention, the starter drive is clutched and would just freewheel in the wrong direction......wouldn't even crank the engine over.

Maybe just coincedence and the midshaft splines OR impeller splines stripped out. Maybe even trashed out pump bearings.

11. +1 by:

Ok
    I did slomo videos to show what is going on

https://youtube.com/shorts/s8TpplG9q-c?feature=share

this one when starter spinning the engine without spark plugs connected

https://youtube.com/shorts/kgJLIsB6JRY?feature=share
    and this one shows starter work and moment of ignition and engine start

as you can see starter spinning engine in clock wise direction but when it start it turns in counter clock wise.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information