Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb 2015 rxt 260 please help

Evening guys,

I'm writing this out of complete desperation and not sure why I didn't come and post in the first place since I've found so many helpful tips on the site but here goes nothing....

Little background: I've had my ski for a few years now...only issue I ever had was the intercooler replacement. Everything is completely stock on the ski. I never went to the dealer for anything unless I was buying parts since they're local to me but never to the service dept.

In October, I decided the drive shaft was getting way too rusty so I did that and changed out the PTO bearing and carbon seal while I was at it.. After, that I did my annual oil change and plugs. I went to take it out on the canal to test it out ran for about 5 minutes in eco mode, switched to sport WOT and within about a minute oil light came on and fault code for low oil pressure. 0524. I immediately put it right back on the trailer and checked the oil level. No oil on the dipstick. (When I did the oil change, I pulled out about 3 quarts and replaced exactly 3 (Right away I thought I had a leak from the driveshaft change or something (that telltale grove in the manual had me a little paranoid) so I checked for leaks and nothing. (No smoke was coming out of ski either when I was running it on the water)

I had some big projects coming up with work and had spent enough time on it that I decided to just go by the dealer and see what they thought was going on. I drop it off and they call me the next day saying that they checked everything top to bottom. Started the ski ran perfectly fine on the hose. Drive shaft installed correctly, no oil leaks just appeared to be too low on oil after replacing drive shaft so that they were going to add oil and take it for a water test. Following day I receive a call that the ski ran for about 3 minutes before it started blowing smoke, oil was coming out of the breather, and after pulling the SC hose, oil was in there as well. They ran a compression test and said that all cylinders came back at 1)150 2)150 and 3)135. Service advisor told me that at this point an engine teardown was 100% necessary. This "engine teardown" was going to cost $700 and didn't guarantee we would find a problem nor did that include putting it back together. This is now after I'm on the hook for the inspection and water test $450 which I was 100% fine with if it got me back on the water. I'm not a ski expert by any means but can handle the basics. I didn't understand how a ski that worked just fine but throwing an oil light was now filled with oil all over the place, smoking and required the engine to be taken apart after been in the dealers hands.

I went and paid for the services completed and picked up my ski. I didn't expect everything to be put back together but they left my spark plugs and coils sitting under inches of water in the footwell outside in the rain. oil on the seat and obviously covering the entire inside of the hull. I took my wet vac and pulled out 2 buckets of oil from the bottom of the hull. The manager did offer to replace the plugs and coils if they were toast and apologized. Seeing all of this really made me lose confidence in their diagnosis at all because I felt like I dropped off a dry clean hull with no smoke blowing when turned on (as they stated on their initial inspection "just low on oil" ran fine) to now picking up a mess of a ski almost 500 bucks later.

I take it to a local ski mechanic whose been in business 25 years and he says "compression is fine, engine runs strong...my first thought would not be to tear down this engine by any means." He pulled the SC and checked to make sure all the seals were good and that it wasn't causing the problem with the oil in it's hose. Held onto the SC so he could inspect (this was two weeks ago) just told me yesterday it is fine and nothing is wrong with it and to come pick it up tomorrow to put it back in the ski. He is now saying to just drain as much oil as we can out and do a fresh oil change and fill properly as he believes that I had just too little oil which is why I wasn't getting any faults or oil lights at first and that the dealer could have just overfilled way too much and that is why everything filled with oil when they took it for a ride. Could it really be this simple of a fix? Would a dealer really try to get me for an engine tear down and not properly check the oil level after this happened? I like to always believe local businesses have good intentions but this just sounds wild. I am a younger female and he said that unfortunately these service guys see that as opportunity to run up a bill. I don't want to just refill the oil and take it for a ride again to only cause further damage if anyone thinks it could be a bigger issue. If anyone has any input, it is so greatly appreciated. This is my first time posting, don't know if I'm doing this in the right place. Thanks in advance.

+1
    I can take this big problem off your hands for $500...

3. +1 by:

+1
    Weird but I agree that, based on what youíve described, I wouldnít tear the engine down yet. That oil is going somewhere and you will need to figure that out. I would do the oil change and run it, keeping an eye on the oil level so it doesnít get so low again. Itís either being burned and going out the exhaust or leaking in the hull and being pumped overboard by the bailer.

+1
    Do an oil change, make sure the level is nice, take it the ramp and run it on the trailer (in the water) with the seat off. Keep a close eye on the PTO seal you said you changed. Just look the whole thing over and see if any oil is going in to the bilge

Sounds like Iíll try to get the oil leveled right and hopefully that will fix all these problems.

Thanks guys. Appreciate you taking the time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip3 View Post
    In October, I decided the drive shaft was getting way too rusty so I did that and changed out the PTO bearing and carbon seal while I was at it.. After, that I did my annual oil change and plugs. I went to take it out on the canal to test it out ran for about 5 minutes in eco mode, switched to sport WOT and within about a minute oil light came on and fault code for low oil pressure.
    The PTO seal has 2 O-rings inside the bearing and the PTO coupler also has a seal. Were all in place after driveshaft replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    The PTO seal has 2 O-rings inside the bearing and the PTO coupler also has a seal. Were all in place after driveshaft replacement?
    yes made sure I did everything exactly according to the service manual. Now I did do the oil change prior to the driveshaft which I realized while doing that I should’ve done that after. I’m thinking maybe it lost some oil when I replaced the driveshaft. Could that have cause enough of a loss of oil to set off the sensor? Also, when the dealer had it they ran it on the hose and said they checked to make sure pto seal wasn’t leaking and stated no leaks and that install was done properly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip3 View Post
    yes made sure I did everything exactly according to the service manual. Now I did do the oil change prior to the driveshaft which I realized while doing that I should’ve done that after. I’m thinking maybe it lost some oil when I replaced the driveshaft. Could that have cause enough of a loss of oil to set off the sensor? Also, when the dealer had it they ran it on the hose and said they checked to make sure pto seal wasn’t leaking and stated no leaks and that install was done properly.

Is cooling closed or open loop?

And the dealer "left my spark plugs and coils sitting under inches of water in the footwell outside in the rain, & oil on the seat and obviously covering the entire inside of the hull." Was the engine itself covered to keep water out of the cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Is cooling closed or open loop?

And the dealer "left my spark plugs and coils sitting under inches of water in the footwell outside in the rain, & oil on the seat and obviously covering the entire inside of the hull." Was the engine itself covered to keep water out of the cylinders?
    closed cooling. Yes thankfully the cover was put back on the engine and seat was closed. No water in the cylinders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information