Head Gaskets & a 96 WaveVenture 1100 Rebuild

Hi guys, undertaken a bit of an an ambitious project here being new to both Skis and engine rebuilds. I purchased a 96 WaveVenture 1100 triple in need of a rebuild:

The previous owner had it for 10 years, says it lost power so they pulled the top end to find a cracked piston (pistons?). He got the cylinders bored to 83mm and bought new Pro-X pistons to match, then didn't ever get round to finishing it. I'd say this was fairly recent and/or the parts have been stored well, covered and oiled.

I've just started ordering the parts I think I'll need to pull the engine to remove any debris and do a full rebuild, which are:
    • SBT gasket set
    • SBT crank seals set
    • SBT oil block-off
    • + a 12v bilge pump
    I'm also going to grab genuine Mikuni rebuild kits and new fuel lines once I get around to looking at what is going on there. Hoping the crank is ok but I will have to check that.

My main concern at the moment is getting a head gasket to fit the 83mm overbore (from 81). Research tells me the head gasket should at least be larger than the bore, and the SBT one matches the original gasket, being aprox 82.7mm. This means it overhangs slightly into the cylinder in some spots. The picture below shows the worst cylinder, you can see the gasket only protrudes in the top right sector:

As far as I see it, I have three options:
    1. Put it together with the new undersized SBT gasket and hope its ok...
    2. Try and find a gasket of the right size. The best I've found so far is a kit from cometic for the entire top end, which is quite expensive given I've already bought all of the gaskets: https://www.cometic.com/products/C6121
    3. Get a copper gasket made if that makes any sense.
    My other concern is the head itself, should it be modified for the larger bore (you can see where the mating surface enters the bore) or will a clean up to remove the damage / high spots suffice? I bought this ski as a project to learn about this stuff, so I don't mind taking it slow and doing it properly. Any other tips would be welcome too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3223 copy.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	480933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3291.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	480934  

+1
    The gasket showing a wee bit is a non-issue. Get that head fixed or buy a non damaged one off ebay or something.

Alright, that's somewhat easier. Thanks!

+1
    Yeah, the damage to that head is pretty excessive. It's getting hard to find undamaged heads for any engine, but a few are still out there. Good luck luck with the build!

Thanks! I managed to find Jet-Star Japan carry heaps of used parts at an acceptable price for me in Aus given the cost/time of shipping from the U.S.

Chasing advice on the carb rebuild too. If I go ahead and order 3x SBN38 Genuine Mikuni kits, what other parts will I need that isn't in these? Should I redo the fuel pump while I'm at it given it is seperate on these machines. If so, where is best to find those parts?

+1
    The needle and seat are usually sold seperately so make sure you get those.
    Yes, you should replace or rebuild the fuel pump while you're at it.--->https://www.ebay.com/itm/31153125815...4AAOSwoydWoGXD

I've also used Winderosa fuel pump rebuild kits a few times without issue if you want to save some money.

Thread Information