Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stator Problem 94 SL750

First of all newbe here. Been reading for a long time, and have learned alot from you guys. You all seem very willing to help others. I have seen you fix many skis. Lets see if we can get this old ski up and running. It is a 94 SL 750. I think my brother got it as salvage from a rental place. Engine is freshly rebuilt (SBT) I know. Compression is 120 psi in all holes. Fresh rebuild on the carbs including pop off check and fuel pressure test. Everything was assembled with no issues we thought. We took the ski out f few times with less than stelar results. Finally, it quit. No spark. I pulled the engine and removed the stator cover and flywheel and found an extra flywheel key stuck to the magnets inside the flywheel. It must have jumped in voluntarily without me seeing it. What a mess that made!
    I replaced the stator with one I think it came from Amazon. The ski kind of ran ok for a while then it kind of went into limp mode (I know they don't have that) but i limped back to the ramp for about an hour. Stator test showed open coils again. I'm pulling my hair out now. I installed another stator, I'm not sure where my brother came up with one but it was packaged better. Checked stator before installing, all was good. I triple checked all grounds, knowing I had a problem somewhere. I tapped the positive cable on the battery, got no arc spark. I tried to start the ski, no spark. Now I'm melting down. Stator test revealed more open coils. It looks like there may have been some heating of the red/ purple wires on both replacement stators where they connect to the board, Sorry for being so long. Please help. Thank you in advance

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

What type of damage was done to the crankshaft from the flywheel key? Is it possible the flywheel is slipping on the crank? There should be a snug fit between the crank and flywheel with a liberal amount of red loctite bonding them together.

It's usually best to try and replace the magneto with a known good OEM VS. the aftermarket ones. It appears there is a mix of good and bad. Not sure if anyone has determined which from which yet?

Double check all connections inside the elec box are correct.

Make sure the lanyard is installed.

If it's still a no-go, try removing the kill switch wire from the elec board to eliminate it as a possibility.

If you are still not getting spark, Try replacing the CDI with a known good one.

Thanks for the reply. There was no damage to the crank or flywheel key area. The extra key got jammed between the stator and the flywheel, It made a mess of the stator. The flywheel got beat up a little but all magnets are still present Ill try to get a pic of that stator. Lanyard is installed. The kill button has been replaced previously with a double kill switch. I will disconnect it and the MFD. Flywheel was lapped and locktited with a new key. Inbox
    connections were done by both me and my brother with same result. no spark and it looks like red/purple have been hot where they connect to the board. I will have to obtain a OEM stator. (anyone got one?)

+1
    It would not be normal for the red/purple wire to get hot. It's normally the ground wire that seems to melt when the batteries short out on the aluminum elec box. Just for testing purposes, try adding a jumper wire from the elec box ground to another spot on the engine. A convenient place seems to be on the intake manifold.

Best chance of scoring a used magneto would be Ebay. I saw a few of them under/round $100. Not sure if you know this, but you can use a magneto from a 780 or a 750 for your application. I would not recommend using a 650 magneto as it will most likely fail in short order.

If all your testing comes back as good, you may need to try replacing the CDI. There is no test for it. You simply test everything else and eliminate them from the equation. When they all test good, you try the CDI. Wish I had a better way to test it.

Good call on disconnecting the MFD. Not sure why, but sometimes it does cause issues.

+1
    Please post up some clear pictures of the elec box.

Sometimes we can spot something that doesn't get conveyed in the posts.
    Last edited by K447; 11-14-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Thank you sir. I will get pictures today.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic5.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	480686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic4.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	480687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	480688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	480689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	480690  
    Last edited by G-Force; 11-16-2021 at 01:21 AM.

Stator ohm readings
    Red/purple to yellow .6
    Red/white to green red 1 looks open
    Blue/red to red/white 82.8
    White/yellow to black 1 looks open

+1
    Thanks for the pics.

That corrosion on the circuit board really has me concerned. That could be a major part of the problem.

Not that it would effect your no spark problem, but in the 3rd pic it looks like you have a blue wire connected to the black/ground terminals.

For magneto testing, you should have:

red/pur to yel .6 ohm
    wht/yel to blk 220 ohm
    blu/red to red/wht 90 ohms
    red/wht to grn/red 490 ohms.

Thanks again for helping. The board is very clean. What you are seeing is dielectric grease. That's not normal? A can of brakeclean should get rid of it if need be. Obviously this stator has seen better days. That sucks, it never even got close to the water. Check the circled area of new photo, I think this is where you are referring to. I zoomed in on it and it is on the right spade. It does look like it is on black. Good eye!! I thought I might get a comment of the pic of the blown up part. I love seeing carnage like this. Lesson learned!! I'll find an OEM stator on ebay and install it. I will also add a ground to engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3 mod.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	480729  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information