Thread: NMEA 2000

NMEA 2000

Hi,

I am brand new to this site and it looks like a great place for some technical discussions with some really knowledgeable people. I am building a minijet boat and am planning to use a 2012 300X and would like to use a ChartPlotter such as Garmin or others to provide me with my engine management (RPM, Temp, Fuel Level, etc.) My understanding is if the 300X is NMEA 2000 equipped it can be a simple plug and play. If not then I would need to integrate some sort of gateway to make it happen. I work in a technical capacity, but in heavy industry and not marine and my searches have not told me if such is the case, which is leading me to think it is not. Any help is much appreciated.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    keep looking, this topic of interfacing chartplotters and other marine gizmos with a pwc console has been covered in depth. I seem to recall it was in the yamaha section

seadoo ues a CAN network, so some sophisticated trickery would be involved and expensive no doubt

they would make a bundle cooperating with garmin on such a project

I worked with garmin in supply location data to be embedded in digital cameras image data. Its is as you said, quite a simple matter when both products use the same protocal

and welcome aboard GH!

Thanks for the reply nmpeter. I looked through the Yamaha posts as you suggested and it does not appear many skis have NMEA 2000 as a communications protocol for data transmission. I'm also pretty sure (from just googling and searching) that the Kawi 300X (my year anyway) also does not have it. I've already bought the power plant but haven't started my build yet. But - just through some Google searches I think for my case (building the craft from scratch) I can pretty easily overcome the NMEA 2000 hurdle and interface my 300X to a NMEA 2000 Chart Plotter.

I found this

https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fis...er/136185946/p

This is an analog to NMEA Gateway converter. I think for me the simplest way to my end goal is to leave all the OEM "stuff" alone and intact, add the Gateway converter and then simply add whatever 4-20mA transmitters I want to monitor and display through the Chart Plotter.

Thanks for directing me to the other posts to look through as it tells me a lot.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Given your budget $450 doesn’t seem like much considering that cheaper then a replacement console for most modern skis

I don’t pay much attention to dashboards when I’m out on the lake

Overheating buzzers and low depth alarms yes but there is far too much hostile cross traffic to not have my head on a swivel

Our lake being low means less breathing room especially when folks are drinking, which is all too common here

Keep us posted our your build

We love that kinda stuff as I’m sure you’ve seen by now

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by minijet99 View Post
    Thanks for the reply nmpeter. I looked through the Yamaha posts as you suggested and it does not appear many skis have NMEA 2000 as a communications protocol for data transmission. I'm also pretty sure (from just googling and searching) that the Kawi 300X (my year anyway) also does not have it. I've already bought the power plant but haven't started my build yet. But - just through some Google searches I think for my case (building the craft from scratch) I can pretty easily overcome the NMEA 2000 hurdle and interface my 300X to a NMEA 2000 Chart Plotter.

I found this

https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fis...er/136185946/p

This is an analog to NMEA Gateway converter. I think for me the simplest way to my end goal is to leave all the OEM "stuff" alone and intact, add the Gateway converter and then simply add whatever 4-20mA transmitters I want to monitor and display through the Chart Plotter.

Thanks for directing me to the other posts to look through as it tells me a lot.

Youre on the right track. I did almost this exact thing on my Yamaha. Right now I’m only monitoring rpm and fuel level. But I can add more as I want to. I’m still looking to add boost pressure and engine temp. I just haven’t gotten around to it.

Hey thanks Mr GP1800 and nmpeter! Good to know I'm not headed down a rabbit hole. I won't be to the part of integrating the unit until probably spring 2022 but I'll post what I find. I'm fortunate from the standpoint that i do Process Controls and Automation for a living (but as mentioned in Heavy Industry such as Steel Mills) so I have a lot of colleagues to help me along the way but since I'm doing it from scratch without the constraints of a ski body it should be a fairly simple interface. Once I get all my transmitters lined out and have the system running I'll post my end result in case it can help somebody learn from all my "discoveries" (ie. I hate to call them mistakes as I learn from every step) along the way.

Hey Mr GP1800 - I forgot to ask you a question. On the RPM i was thinking of putting a toothed gear on the driveshaft and using an encoder to pick up the rev's and transmit it to the converter via 4-20mA. Is this how you did it or is there a simpler way? As far as fuel level since I'm building the gas tank I can find a 4-20 level transmitter pretty easy.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I tapped an unused pin on the ecu plug that outputs an rpm signal. I don’t know what that would be on a kawasaki but it exists on the Yamaha motors.

Thread Information