Jump started before knowing not to

Just bought a 2002 Ultra 130 DI. Had no spark. So while checking out the ski before purchasing, I asked if I could check the compression. Ski had no battery, so we jumped it to my running SUV. Now I read that is not a good idea. What did I damage?<

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    likely nothing, as the typical reason for no spark on that ski is a damaged emm...(from jump starting)

jumping off of a running vhicle assures damage

don't
    do
    that

and oh yeah, welcome aboard GH

lakeside tech can repair your emm

he'll be along soon to provide you with details, assuming you went ahead and bought the ski based on the compression figures alone

Yes, I bought the ski.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    there is no better place for you to be then here then...

any ideas on the hours?

any clue as to the maintenance history of the jetpump?

and how's the console look? and did you notice a check engine light when the system was powered up?

while we wait for lakeside one thing you can start doing is checking out some electrics

first step is to procure a service manual that's a must, some sniffing around may land you a pdf file that specifically covers the injection system, but if you have to buy one, its a solid investment

check to make sure both connectors to the emm are actually plugged in

if you have a good ohm meter check out the CPS, one of the more common reasons for spark outage, followed by the stator and then the ecm

pick up a high quality agm battery, we like the DEKA around here but several auto parts stores OEM them from east penn, so its essentially the same battery ( you can tell by the terminals its a east penn, no nuts, just a threaded boss for the cable bolts. your size is etx20..around $100

with the plugs out and grounded you can crank the engine without putting too much stress on the battery and starter and measure the voltage at the injectors, should be around 26v while cranking

at the bottom of this message you'll find a link for Polaris tips, go there as the kaw uses the identical ignition system, so all the troubleshooting tips are there.

since a non running ski can be a risky proposition, don't get your expectations up for the moment, you have at least $1500 worth of salvage there if you part her out

+1
    When jumping from a vehicle with a good battery, leave the engine OFF! The surge from trying to start a dead vehicle when the engine is running can damage the voltage regulator/alternator of the good vehicle.

Thanks for the reply nmpeter! I do not know the hours or the maintenance. Don't know the info from the dash either. Thanks for the suggestion on the battery. Just ordered one off of Ebay for $89. Same battery in Amazon was $140. I paid the Ebay purchase with PayPal. So if I get screwed, should be able to get my money back either from Ebay or PayPal. Seemed like a very big price differential.

So i should have the battery charged and installed sometime in about a week and a half and will respond back with any check engine lights. I will start testing the electrical at that time as well. Don't know exactly what to test at this time though.

Thread Information