Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    +1
    Anyone know which one you're supposed to use?

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    You have to use this one for our motors. Unfortunately you need gas vales to use this CDI. The one with the power valve control is only 2 channel I believe.

Beerdart is going to be the resident expert on Zeeltronic.

https://zeeltronic.com/page/pdci-30.php

Its been a while since I last updated this build.
    I tested the old MSD setup and after hours of trying to get the system working again it appears to be absolutely dead.
    I have been looking for a replacement MSD for quite some time and managed to locate a full running system from a Kawasaki 1100 which happened to be close to my home. I collected that system and it is working great. I'm keen as to get this project up and running again as this was the only item I was unsure whether I could obtain.
    Piston rods arrived from the USA the other day, just need the crank bearings before that gets delivered to the crank rebuilder.
    I will be dropping the cylinders off shortly to have nikasil coating reapplied to match the pistons.
    There was a question raised about the numbers on the prop, attached is a photo of the only numbers I could find.
    I have a set of Hot Seat airbox components that are CNC milled aluminium. Need to try and find an air filter that fits properly but there isnt a lot of information on the internet. Might have to get a custom filter made by K&N.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2220.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	481876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2221.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	481877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	481878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2519.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	481879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2523.jpg 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	481880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2525.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	481881  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2537.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	481882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2536.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	481883  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    That's really cool you were able to find an ignition.

The element for the Hot Seat flame arrestor isn't actually a filter. Just a screen mesh for preventing fire. I'm sure you knew that though.

Might be just as easy or less expensive to purchase a different flame arrestor. K&N makes flame arrestors for 44mm PWC carbs. Tau Ceti made them, Prok, etc...

I understand if you're trying to get it back to original condition, but figured I would just point out there is an easier route than trying to have a custom element made.

I would try to source them from a performance PWC parts supplier in your country to keep shipping time and cost down.

The impeller is an aftermarket Skat Trak 12/17. If it was modified, there would be hand written numbers on the inside of the impeller hub. Something like 12/18 is likely.

Your build looks good so far, keep up the good work and keep us posted. I'm sure when you are done, you will be very pleased with your decision to go forward with this salvage.

5. +1 by:

+1
    "Hot Seat " was Kinda the Polaris associated performance parts. The factory spark arrestor was designed like the HotSeat but made of plastic. One of your early pictures makes the element look angled ? Not sure if an original element or one from a domestic would fit. Maybe get some measurements.

How well does the base plate fit the carb opening ? The 3 seperate style filters are easier to work with/around the carbs, usually match carb opening well.

Skat Trak made a majority of factory Polaris impellers, but also offered variations.
    The 12/17 was the factory spec for a 785 impeller, was also used on other factory ski's, although the 785 turned 7800-8000 rpm compared to 6700 of other models.

The pump stator you have adds alot of drag/load on the impeller. Lesser engines would need a much lower pitch to use that stator.
    With the power that engine made-likely it balanced out to the factory pitch.

+1
    The Hot Seat element was angled. The OEM was straight. There might be a chance the OEM could be modified to fit the Hot Seat?

What Casey says about the impeller is true. I wrote the one in the pic is aftermarket because it does not have the Polaris part number of 5131457 stamped on it. But if it was modified, it would most likely be engraved on the inside of the hub.

Good catch on the pump Casey. Looks to be 12 vanes. Factory would have came with a 5 vane aluminum pump (early models) or a 6 vane stainless one (newer models) That 12 vane will generally add to the acceleration of the ski.

+1
    I did forget to mention the variations in impeller/stator design.

The "stock" 5-6 vane stators and factory impellers are angled.The "aftermarket" 8-12 vane stators and most Skat Trak branded impellers are straight accross.
    If you look at the stator/impeller as you have pictured ( from the side) the bottom of impeller blades are straight accross as is the front edge of stator vanes.
    On stock parts, those edges will be angled (somewhere around 6-8 degrees). So the stock 5131457 impeller will not match the 12 vane and will loose efficiency/propulsion.

+1
    I remember reading the additional clearance between the trailing edge of the impeller and the pump vanes was to possibly allow small rocks to get by reducing damage to the impeller and vanes. Probably reducing performance in the process for longevity

I had a few days to work on the Polaris since the last update.
    Finding the MSD ignition definitely helped motivate me.
    I am quickly learning that every single part of this ski needs to be rebuilt. Everything from the fuel pumps, impeller, electrical, steering, absolutely everything needs to have bearings replaced, rust removed etc. I'm up for a rebuild, its just going to take a while
    I started off by getting the hull right. It was annoying me how faded everything was and I thought if i made it shiny it will help with the motivation. I spent a few hours and a tub of cutting compound to get the ski looking a bit better. Came up great! There are still a few cracks in the surface of the paint from spending years being unprotected in the sun but I think I can live with it...
    The hood needed much more attention though. The paint was pealing away and needed to be resprayed. I bogged up all of the imperfections and applied a few coats of filler primer. I'll either get it painted by a local or spray myself with a pearl black paint (using a proper gun of course).

I found a youtube video on rebuilding the Mikuni round fuel pump and decided to pull it apart to take a look. Upon inspection it was full of water/oil so I will order a rebuild kit. I'm aware there is information available on this site for these pumps but has anybody ever come across a 785 running two of them on the one ski?

I also started tearing apart the Riflebore carbs. I actually tore the carburettor down on the kitchen benchtop and my wife didnt say a thing.. Unfortunately it looked like somebody snapped off a phillips heads tip in one of the screws that houses the jets. It took me plenty of hours to remove the cover without damaging the carb assembly. Thankfully the carbs appear to be in very good condition and just need a good clean and reassembly. If anybody has any information on these carbs such as a manual/stock jet settings/fuel and air settings it would be greatly appreciated.

I also started tearing apart the stator/impeller assembly. Having an impact screw driver is absolutely essential on these parts. If you stripped something in these assemblies you may as well bin it! Thankfully everything came apart okay. The bearings are all stuffed and need to be replaced.

These are the pistons I will be ordering. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Pistons x 4 (1 for spare) Piston Kit Standard 69.75mm Polaris SLT 750 1994-1995 (ebay item)

Next stage is to order the crank bearings and get the crank to the shop and wait for a rebuild. Once the pistons arrive the cylinders can be bored and plated.

More updates coming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2572.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	482204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2570.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	482206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2659.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	482208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2658.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	482207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2662.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	482209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	482210  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2580.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	482212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2579.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	482211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2611.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	482214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	482215  

+1
    Love following your progress.

Nice work on the hood.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information