+1

Winterizing for Kawasaki ZXI Jetskis

Hi Everyone,

The 1995 ZXI 900 and 2003 ZXI 1100 are headed to Lake Nuangola, PA, just south of Wilkes-Barre. They be in a 2-car garage and temps will definitely get below freezing for extended periods of time. I was contemplating funneling some anti freeze through the flush hose connection to prevent any water remaining in the expansion tank from freezing, expanding, and cracking the outer jacket.

I could also blow compressed air through the flush hose connection to try to get any water out.

I don't want freezing water, but I also don't want to damage internal parts and the Owner's Manual does not mention anti freeze.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks friends!

-Scott

+1
    I think the biggest problem on those models would be on the cooling chamber behind the oil pump drive. I don't know if that will drain or not. I always run antifreeze through all my 'Skis.

Oh, yea, your Ultra LX needs antifreeze. I posted about this elsewhere, but there is a low spot on the left side of the engine that doesn't drain. Some of the service manuals recommend pulling the hose off and draining it into the hull. I just run antifreeze because removing the hose each year is awfully hard on the hose.

+1
    Thanks, Steve! The seller/marina winterized that Ultra LX 'ski while was there for the pick-up. He had a pump for the antifreeze, which is something I don't have, but suggested I use a funnel and pour it in while the 'ski is running. He coated the engine with an rust inhibitor. Pulled the battery for me and did a really nice job overall prepping the ski for the winter.

Is there a particular type of anitfreeze that you use that is less harmful and doesn't need to be reclaimed?

I think this is what caused the expansion chamber to crack and leak in the ZXI 1100. Couldn't find the source of the leak for the longest time but eventually I pulled it and replaced it. Problem solved.

+1
    I use Marine/RV antifreeze. It's supposed to be non-toxic.

Thread Information