Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Gallery: 2022 Yamaha FX Limited SVHO WaveRunner (Video)

Yamaha Motor Corp. USA has a way of making moves in small, precise increments. Changes often don’t come as big overt swings, but rather, a series of gradual moves resulting – in time – in a more finely tuned, well-honed outcome. When the full-sized 3-seater line – the FX Series – received its 2019 redesign, it wasn’t met with shock and awe but rather nods of approval. The new FX maintained most of its predecessor’s traits, but picked up some sportier handling and smoother aesthetics. Again for the most part, the new FX was seen less as a revolution and more of an evolution of the outgoing platform.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 10-27-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    … Yamaha moved the sponsons forward 50mm (nearly 2-inches) to reduce hull packing, particularly in corners.
    I am unfamiliar with that term. What is hull packing?

3. +1 by:

+1
    It was a new one for me too, K447. Yamaha used it in this year's press material and Jerry and I both found it strange. Yamaha wouldn't explain its origins either, so I started digging into the etymology.

The only times I found "hull packing" used was in regards to catamarans and vessels equipped with outriggers. It refers to the process of surface tension acting on/contacting the hull within the inside a turn, causing the vessel to erratically carry out the turn.

Moving the sponson forward allows the sponson's blade to break up that surface tension sooner, engage the water earlier in the turn, and execute the turn more smoothly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    … Yamaha wouldn't explain its origins either ...
    Yamaha is using that term across its marketing material for the new model but declines to explain what it means?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Yamaha is using that term across its marketing material for the new model but declines to explain what it means?
    Yamaha has used it before in marketing - describing their 2019 195/190 boats.

Under the waterline, the longer, wider hull is designed for added comfort too; favoring characteristics that reduce bow rise when accelerating, and hull packing when operating in choppy water conditions.”

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=273838&page=2

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDouglas View Post
    Yamaha has used it before in marketing - describing their 2019 195/190 boats.

Under the waterline, the longer, wider hull is designed for added comfort too; favoring characteristics that reduce bow rise when accelerating, and hull packing when operating in choppy water conditions.”

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=273838&page=2
    Well, that does not tell me what Yamaha means when they say ‘hull packing’.

It seems that Yamaha uses that term to describe a certain kind of hull action or reaction to certain water conditions or hull handling conditions. What exactly those are, is the thing of interest.

+1
    Again, the action is described as being erratic or unpredictable behavior in a turn.

+1
    Again, the action is described as being erratic or unpredictable behavior in a turn.
    I get that. I am curious as to what is going on that causes the behavior.

From this document (line 1163)
    … hull packing (the percentage of the convex hull volume not occupied by the object) …
    Also in this PDF, page 108

My initial take is that the ‘hull packing’ Yamaha is talking about is the cramming of water between the sponson and the hull itself, creating localized zones of higher water pressure. Or perhaps the absence of water (voids) in the region where the sponsons interact with the hull.

Similar to the effects surmised regarding jet pump stuffing, sponson related FX hull packing during turns [and apparently in choppy water (Yamaha’s phrasing for the boats)] seemingly relates to the sponsons trapping water against the hull and causing unwanted handling results.

Clearly Yamaha feels that moving the FX sponsons forward (and perhaps changing their shape) has reduced the unwanted effects.

It will be interesting to see whether the aftermarket sponson providers address this in their own sponson designs. Not only for the 2022 FX hull but also for the now-deprecated 2109-2021 FX hulls.

+1
    Your links go to "Visual Analysis in Archaeology. An Artificial Intelligence Approach"

+1
    Your links go to "Visual Analysis in Archaeology. An Artificial Intelligence Approach"
    There is a ‘hull packing’ reference in there (Google struggling to find relevant content) but I suspect that link is referring to how efficiently hull interior space is utilized for cargo. Nothing to do with water dynamics and sponsons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information