99 sltx speedo says 67?

Ever since I upgraded ignition, when I start ski , Speedo climbs to 67 and stays there on trailer . 22,33,44,67? Took tube off and blew thru it up by mfd . I made sure it had a good connection under bearing etc .. any idea? I disconnected mfd for now see if it will reset

It only seems to do it when ski is running . I reset it and it went to 00 until I started it . I took it out of ski and brought it inside as it’s been raining for 2 days . I’ll let it dry out good then try to find a wiring diagram for it .

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The speedo reading is entirely determined by air pressure. There is a differential air pressure sensor inside the MFD. It compares ambient air pressure with the air pressure coming from the connected tube that goes to the pitot fin fitting under the hull.

The pitot itself must not be clogged. There is a tiny hole in the leading edge of the fin. That connects to the small nipple inside the hull. Which in turn connects to the tube going to the MFD.

Make sure the tube is not kinked where it connects to the pitot nipple.
    That tiny nipple is fragile. Be careful not to break it off or crack it.

And check that the hole in the fin is not blocked. You can squirt water down the tube from the MFD end and it should pee on the ground under the hull.

I blew thru tube up at mfd . Seems clear , no kinks . I reset it . Went to 00 until I started it then started going up. I. Wondering if heat , vibration from the carrier bearing plays a roll ? i moved tube to kinda wrap around bearing to straighten out tube somewhat . Before it wasn’t touching at all , but kinda bent over underneath . The map type sensor inside might have went , or it might just be stray voltage from somthing else .

+1
    For the speed reading on MFD, as far as I know it self-calibrates at each ‘wake up’. The speedo function is independent of the voltage calibration and the hour counter. I do not know what you are doing when you say you ‘reset’ the MFD.

Leave the MFD pitot tube unconnected at the MFD. If the speed reading does not settle to zero and stay there then the problem is inside the MFD.

If the speed reading is stable at zero until you re-connect the tube, then there is air trapped inside the tube. The tube is kinked or squashed somewhere, or the pitot itself has a clog.

The air pressure inside the tube, in a normally operating Polaris, is unaffected by engine warmth, water temperature and engine vibration.

To reset it I just followed the re cal steps found on here somewhere . It just seems weird … I look at a problem like , what changed ? Well the ignition upgrade , now the whole entire ski is grounded thru the stator .I also moved the tube to wrap around the bearing coupler . Plus it’s been raining all week and ski is outside . I come from the automotive world . Modern efi , grounds are very important . A lot of ECM etc need there own separate ground to work properly. I’ll wait till it dries out around here and pop mfd back in with tube off . And go from there . It runs great now with upgrade and carbs rebuilt .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyg69 View Post
    … what changed ? Well the ignition upgrade …
    These are old machines. During the ignition upgrade the engine was messed with, the electrical box was tugged around, etc.

The pitot tube runs down through the steering assembly and through the bottom of the hull. It may be snagged on something somewhere, kinked or squished. May or may not have anything to do with the recent ignition update work.

Electrically the MFD needs to have stable power. Which runs through the electrical box, for both positive and negative. Since the engine now runs well I would expect the negative link via the stator black wire is behaving. Usually if the power to the MFD is no good the thing will self-restart or perhaps do weird stuff.

Drifting MFD speed readings is not something I associate with electrical glitches.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2914221

Well I took it outside and plugged it in . Left hose off , and it’s showing 00 with engine running . So k447, you are correct . Has to be something with hose or Speedo nipple . Well that’s a relief .

Thread Information