+1

Need tips from the pros-getting antifreeze through RFI heat exchanger

I've owned this '98 GTX-RFI since new and have winterized it every year. Since I live in Minneapolis I fill the engine with a 60/40 mix of antifreeze but I'm having trouble getting it to flow through the crankcase heat exchanger.

Here's the procedure I use

-remove the cooling water return line on the head cover and attach a hose to pour A/F through
    -clamp the cooling water supply line (comes from jet pump)
    -clamp the engine drain line (leads out of the magneto heat exchanger)
    -disconnect the drain line from the crankcase heat exchanger and let water drain and then reconnect
    -pour the solution through the head cover until A/F appears in the engine drain line
    -remove clamps, collect A/F that runs out of engine and reassemble

Here's what's happening

-water drains out of the heat exchanger when the line is disconnected
    -A/F starts coming out of the cooling water indicator (CWI)line on the tuned pipe before it is seen in the engine drain
    -when the CWI is clamped A/F flow stops but it is still not seen in the engine drain line
    -an attempt to use 50 PSI of air pressure to force A/F through doesn't result in flow unless CWI is unclamped

My fear is that the heat exchanged is partially plugged but the ski doesn't present any operating symptoms. Please give me some theories as I'm stumped.

+1
    I've decided to just put the ski away for the winter and hope that enough A/F flowed into the heat exchanger to prevent freezing. In the spring I plan to find a way to assess the flow rate of cooling water through the system. I don't get an overheat alarm but the sensor is on the head so I'm thinking that the crankcase could be getting too hot while the top end of the engine is still getting an adequate amount of cooling water.

+1
    Easy peasy. Take off the line on the front of the head. Clamp off the part going to the pipe. Funnel a bit of antifreeze in and blow through it. The ONLY passage is through the stator cooler and on through the case cooler. I did one the other day and heard gurgling under the engine........line to the cooler was split open!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Easy peasy. Take off the line on the front of the head. Clamp off the part going to the pipe. Funnel a bit of antifreeze in and blow through it. The ONLY passage is through the stator cooler and on through the case cooler. I did one the other day and heard gurgling under the engine........line to the cooler was split open!
    Did the customer mention that the ski was overheating? If the line to the cooler was split I would think the crankcase would not be getting an adequate amount of cooling water.

+1
    The Rfi will not overheat if you bypass the cooler completely. What WILL happen is a shorter lifespan of the crank bearings. On a carbed machine, the incoming fuel charge helps keep the bearings cool. On the Rfi, you still have air movement but not the cooling effect of the fuel. Will it drastically shorten the lifespan?......doubt it. Could it be 15% shorter?.....sure.

Thread Information