+1

09 Sea Doo GTX that sank

Hello yall!

I've recently purchased a 09 GTX iS 255 LTD from an insurance auction just to have something to tinker with over the weekends as the days become colder and outdoor chores get reduced. I gambled on this machine as the pics showed no rust or salt deposits anywhere and did have a few missing body panels as well as the upper deck not being bolted down.

After getting it into my shop and opening her up, I came to the conclusion that she has definitely sank since there is a coat of oil on everything inside the engine bay and water in everything that isn't suppose to have water in it. Looking deeper into it I saw the resonator was melted to $&@*. Okay, lets pull her a part and see what we find. Didn't have to go too deep to find that the hose that comes off the jet housing that cools the exhaust was not even attached. I have a high doubt that the person looking into the the ski before it was totaled by insurance even touched any components to the jet pump so I'm going with a hypothesis that a shop replaced something on the ski that involved removing the pump and either never attached the hose or did and didn't screw down the clamp.

I'm still trying to find what part they may have replaced, I'm guessing possibly engine related as the insides are very clean, but my question is; without the feed of outside water to cool the exhaust and other components, are there any other components that I should really get a close look at (except resonator, that requires replacement) that the lack of cooling may have damage while I'm getting the engine out and inspected? I doubt that the ski ran for too long until the resonator melted and sank it.

Also!! Is there a breather some where on the engine that would allow oil to escape when filled with water? I ask because the whole insides of the ski are coated with oil and when I pump out the engine all I got was clear water and a very small amount of oil.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet Pump.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	479797  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    safe to assume that when that asshat that did the service left the main water feed hose unattached, the attention to detail in installing the oil filter was also less then perfect.

so I'm thinking...

oil was leaking after engine start and with no water he might have gotten out of the no wake zone before the hi temp alarm went off. was the sensor on the exhaust pipe melted?

then the ski sunk and water filled the engine thru the exhaust pipe

might not be worth the time/money to do a restoration on an 09, unless you have plenty to burn

shoot some fogging oil into the jugs and get a hot battery in there and asses the state of the ski, if you can do a compression test, if you can't then consider parting it

+1
    Thanks for the response!

Yes the exhaust sensor was melted off. I had a battery to it and cranked it over without plugs via screwdriver across the relay to hear maybe something but I didn't have the smaller adapter for my pressure gauge so its unknown at the moment. I put the cam down the spark plug hole and couldn't see much. Wound up pulling engine out of the ski and sitting on the bench at the moment. I'm going to start with splitting out the bottom half and make a decision from there this weekend.

+1
    pulling the engine for a bottom end bearing inspections was a wise move

I'd still try to run a compression test, before cracking the engine cases, just to be sure of what you are going to be getting into

+1
    After putting engine on a make shift engine stand made from scrap drilling iron, I was able to find a bunch of oil when I put the engine on its side. Bottom end opened up and from looking at it, I don't think this engine even has a whole hour on it. The insides are way too clean. And I doubt fresh water would do this much of cleaning even if it was in there for a few months. From a quick inspection all rods look good with no signs of stress. Coated everything in WD-40 for the night and tomorrow I will begin hitting it with brake cleaner and resealing it for a proper compression test.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211023_201552.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	479958

6. +1 by:

+1
    Looks good...real good..at least from here.

Thread Information