Shavings in Oil Filter after 10 Hour Break In. What would you do? Teardown w/ Pics

Hello fellow 4tec members,

I need some advice from those knowledgeable on 4tec teardown and rebuilds. I found more metal in my oil filter than I would expect to see after 10 hours of break in on full rebuild. So I tore down the engine again. Hereís what I found and I need help on locating the source. The post is long and detailed so I can paint the whole picture. Hopefully this inspection and tear down after 10 hour break in will help others!

All the metal in filter appears to be aluminum:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6732.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	479671

History:
    I rebuilt my 2005 RXT 4tec 215 SC back to stock after SC failure. Parts replaced included oil pumps, oil pump covers, .5 over bore and hone, wsm pistons, bearings, etc. new used crank and cam, polished. New used 06+ head, pulled check valve out of 05 block and used 06+ rocker shaft.

Here are crank bearings after 10hr break in:

Views:	52 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	479677

Views:	45 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	479678

Luckily, Crank looks great:

Views:	46 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	479679

Crank thrust bearings look decent. Front thrust bearing took a light scratch (left). Flywheel side that is prone to failing if engine is misaligned or bad jet pump look decent (right).

Views:	42 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	479680

possible sources after 10 hr break in and tear down:

Pto oil pump:
    2 specs of metal lodged in top of pto oil pump gear and outer ring shaved up the cover pretty good. I think this is one possible source of most of the small aluminum shavings. Not sure where the deposit came from. PTO oil screen look very clean, no metal lodged in PTO screen. Iím replacing the damaged cover. I think if I pick out the deposit lodged on the gear and rings it will be fine to run it. Mating surfaces of gear and ring look good.

Views:	45 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	479672

Secondary oil pump:
    Mating surfaces of ring and gear have one depresssion at the same place on every tooth from something large passing through, otherwise looks very clean. I think whatever it was is stuck to the gear in second pic. Cover is mint. Would you replace the oil pump? Iím thinking of removing the small piece of debris and running it.

Views:	41 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	479673

Views:	41 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	479674

Secondary pump screen:
    There are several very large shavings lodged in screen. They are too wide of shavings to be from the scored primary oil pump cover. Could it be from the used oil cooler? Where does oil go after it leaves the oil cooler? Iím thinking these could be from
    A) the used oil cooler I installed being contaminated.
    Or
    B) somewhere I havenít checked yet.

Views:	47 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	479675

Lastly,
    A few Rocker mating surfaces donít look pretty. I hear wear on rockers is somewhat typical. Some are pitted, not sure if thatís from before the rebuild or of its recent. Donít think that could be source of large shavings, but maybe?
    Would you replace rockers?

Views:	40 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	479681

I havenít pulled rod end caps. I donít think itís necessary considering how good the crank looks. But maybe I should.

What else is there to check? Is there anything I missed as a possible source of the metal?

I want this engine to run for many more hundreds of hours but I am not confident I found the source of the large shavings, especially those in the secondary pump screen. Thanks for your help! Any and all advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by Skisac; 10-17-2021 at 02:51 PM.

+1
    I would have changed the oil and filter, then kept on riding.

+1
    Are you sure the flakes in the filter are aluminum? You used a magnet to test them?

The oil cooler will trap a lot of crap that can later come loose and get back into circulation.

All the pictures look fine to me.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Me too, no mention about cleaning out or replacing the oil cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Are you sure the flakes in the filter are aluminum? You used a magnet to test them?

The oil cooler will trap a lot of crap that can later come loose and get back into circulation.

All the pictures look fine to me.

Thanks for the response! And time to read the post. Iím positive the flakes are aluminum, I used a magnet to test them.

Yeah I know it can trap a lot of crap. Itís possible the guy I got it from bluffed me on condition of the ski it came out of and thatís where the large shavings came from. I can only hope, because other than the freshly scored oil pump cover, Everything looks clean!

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Probably shoulda posted the filter picture before I tore it down lol, maybe I went overboard. but when I got the ski, metal in oil filter was the first thing I saw before realizing SC washers failed and every oiled surface in the motor was scored. I assumed the worst seeing so much metal in there again

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Me too, no mention about cleaning out or replacing the oil cooler?
    Kosh,

I replaced my old contaminated oil cooler with a used one on eBay who seller claimed came from a running non-supercharger ski. It was super clean from the outside.. Took a chance and didnít clean out inside.That could definitely be the culprit of the large flakes. Any point in cleaning it out now or do you think 10 hours of run time did the trick and broke loose whatever was in there?

+1
    Possibly all clear by now, it wouldn't of hurt to flush soak it in petrol prior but too late now.
    If it was an exchange or new engine generally to keep warranty you would be required to fit a new one.
    Ride and enjoy.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information