Need a cdi box 40 60 180.

What are my options ? no spark @pto cyl. I tested it following the directions on site and swapped the Hall effect wires etc.. ended up with no spark @center.cyl. Itís intermediate . It will spark once or twice but then nothing . Are there any other boxes that will work ? couldnt find one online except bike bandit , but u sure if they really have it , or just listing it ?

So I went out and re tested it . Same shit . Finally I tapped on cdi box with a wrench , and it started working again lol . So obviously it’s got something loose inside it . Anybody ever take one apart ? wondering if I can repair a loose connection etc…

What bout the cdi that sbt sells ? Part 4010885? Says something about changing the timing ? Is this doable ?

885 that SBT sells, otherwise known as the 447 box, is the updated Gen 3 CDI. If you still have the old ignition system you cannot use a Gen 3 CDI with the older stator and visa versa. Either update to a new Gen 3 stator or find an old CDI box (4060180). Lots of information about the part numbers in the FAQs.

Timing changes were possible with the 885/447 box because they have a serial port that allows someone with the necessary equipment to recalibrate timing curves. SBT mentions that their boxes are cal'ed to accommodate non "high-start" flywheels. "High-start" flywheels were a different piece of hardware that had 10 degrees more advanced base timing built in due to the shifting of the Woodruff key to allow more aggressive timing curves if one so desired to have such a thing. More info here:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103687

Don't mix High-Start flywheels with CDIs programmed for non High-Start hardware. If you update to a Gen 3 CDI and stator, you want what SBT sells, i.e. the non-High-Start flywheel variety.

From what I have read, no one has had any luck cracking open and repairing a CDI. I wouldn't waste your time.

I just bought an update kit on eBay . Same cdi as sbt with the right stator , gasket etc.. how hard are they to change ? is the stator mounted to the cover ? looked like it in pics. Do you need to adjust timing after ? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyg69 View Post
    I just bought an update kit on eBay . Same cdi as sbt with the right stator , gasket etc.. how hard are they to change ? is the stator mounted to the cover ? looked like it in pics. Do you need to adjust timing after ? thanks
    Once you've done it, it's easy. The first time is a bit nerve wracking, but that's the same experience with any new process.

It can be done from the front of the ski. Drain the fuel and oil tanks with a siphon pump, remove the oil tank if you need to, then tilt the fuel tank up towards the bow or remove it if you can, and everything is there for the taking. Stator is inside the flywheel cover. You'll have to remove the cover, remove the flywheel (use a harmonic balancer puller and hit it with the impact gun), and then unbolt the stator. Take care to secure the spring in the flywheel cover after you remove it. Don't let it drop out and disappear. The starter bendix will pull right out. Make sure you don't thread the puller bolts more than 4 or 5 turns or you'll snag it on the stator and wreck it. Not that is matters if your stator is garbage, just throwing that out there... You'll need to keep the crank from rotating while removing the flywheel. Use your favorite method, but a rope stuffed in the spark plug hole of your favorite cylinder is a good method. Service manual and the FAQs here are your friends before you start.

Checking timing is always a good idea after an install, but unless something else went horribly wrong like a twisted crank or using the wrong stator/flywheel hardware, you should be OK with just an RnR.

Dosnt seem to hard . Just pisses me off .cost me $669 with the tax, shipping etc.. it seems like the other one gets wet , then drops a cyl. I fixed the leak , but washed down inside the hull a bit .I was careful , but the front cover got a little wet .

Good luck! Post up if you run into trouble.

Thread Information