Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    An ingested stick into the jet pump can instantly disable even a 110% reliable watercraft.

Striking a barely underwater (or barely above water) object can not only damage the machine but potentially also toss the rider, possibly causing injury.

It would seem the majority of your self-help plan is the riding gear you are wearing and your proximity to shore, with the presumption that you will be able to make the swim. How far can you actually swim in cold water (uninjured) while wearing a tour coat, boots, etc?

+1
    lol.. Well, I guess you don't fly then.
    I'm 53 and been riding for over 30+ years, anything that can happen jetsking has happened to me. I wouldn't ride in debris infested water, but if things get caught in my pump, I can still idle back to shore. I will not hit anything as I am riding very conservatively and with great visibility on a standup. and if by that 1% I do get stranded, I'm willing to bailed my ski and swim to shore. So back to my original question.. it the TR-1 safe to run in cold weather without tweeking. lol
    Last edited by jetskidude1113; 10-18-2021 at 09:52 AM. Reason: adding

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskidude1113 View Post
    … I guess you don’t fly then.
    Much of what I post is not only for the individual posting the question.

I write so that others who may read the thread, perhaps sometime much later, can find useful info and perhaps learn something that will help them. Especially people that may be new to riding, or intending to ride in conditions that are new to them.

I mostly ride sit-down PWC. We frequently travel distance and often in waters remote enough (or off-season enough) that we cannot depend on help from other boaters. We use the buddy system with at least one other sit-down ski riding along.

We also often ride in fairly cold water, which many ‘warm summer only’ riders are not familiar with. Where I can I try to share the precautions and thought processes we use to enjoy the cold water rides while being cognizant of the associated risks.

In your case it sounds like you have experience riding in cold water and make efforts to keep the machine in good working condition. You have put some thought into your risk mitigation strategy, including the near shore riding zone and wearing warm gear.

The risk of something disabling your machine and/or injury to the rider is non-zero. Assessing the potential downsides and having a plan to minimize the risk of a bad outcome, you seem to be doing that, which is a good thing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskidude1113 View Post
    … is the TR-1 safe to run in cold weather without tweaking. ...
    I have not worked on the TR-1 engine nor have I used it in cold water so I do not have direct experience.

If the TR-1 is similar to the 1.8 litre Yamaha engine regarding cold water operation (which I have often done) then I would expect it to be just fine.

I also do not know if the TR-1 cooling system in the stand-up model differs in any important ways from the sit-down or even jet boat versions of that engine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information