Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1999 SLTX - Jet Pump bolts stuck

So Iíve tried wd-40, pb blaster . Donít wanna come out . They seem to flex a lot . Not sure how much pressure they can take before they snap .

Thinking of heating pump base with propane torch maybe some map gas.

Anybody have any ideas ?
    Last edited by K447; 10-10-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Well tried heat , 1 broke . Need a new housing and bolts I guess . I saw a lot on e bay , but only go to 98? Does anybody know what years fit ? Thanks .

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Always helps to identify the Polaris model and year you are working on

Oh, sorry it’s a 1999 sltx .

Rebuilt the carbs , got it running pretty good just gotta get the pump apart to change the carrier housing . 1 bolt broke . I honestly don’t think they will come out .not sure if I should look for a used housing etc.. few on eBay but not sure what year fits . Saw a few for a 1998 etc…
    Last edited by K447; 10-09-2021 at 04:51 PM.

+1
    they all come out...takes patients and not to much muscle....also never do it with hand tools....penetration oil...heat...cool fast (ice/water)....brass punch for shocking...and always a mid grade impact gun....Ive had some take hours but they will come out....unless you over power it or use hand tools

What do you mean by mid grade impact gun? Like a 3/8 impact? I could try my Milwaukee 1/4 impact on low . Bolt snapped so easy with a 1/2 wrench

So some housings have a stainless wear ring ( newer) some are all aluminum. Will they all fit as claimed ? Is it worth it ?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    ..l not to much muscle....also never do it with hand tools....penetration oil...heat...cool fast (ice/water)....brass punch for shocking....

...Iíve had some take hours but they will come out....unless you over power it or use hand tools
    Interesting, as I never use impact tools on the four long jet pump bolts. The length of the stainless steel bolts seems to twist and absorb most the impact tool energy. At least with the impact tools I have.

I would typically use penetrating oil and sometimes focused compact torch heat, right on the metal where the bolt threads in. There is a large rubber o-ring seal behind the forward face of the large jet pump base casting (which is bolted to the hull transom) so excessive heat should be avoided.

The plastic water tube can and should be removed from beside the jet pump before using heat. there is a small square shouldered o-ring seal buried inside the water tube pass through hole, so also protect that from flame exposure.

Rather than simply trying to twist the bolt counterclockwise I would apply torque to the bolt head in both directions, working the bolt loose from the pump threads incrementally. Back and forth, tighten then loosen, back and forth. Eventually the bolt threads would start to move a tiny bit. More penetrant, let it soak.

Then more back and forth torque efforts on the bolt head, just shy of where I feared the bolt might fracture. The typical breaking point is right where the bolt threads begin or enter the pump. Work it long enough, soak the threads repeatedly and I would usually be able to remove the bolt.

Well since I snapped one, ( it’s sticking out 3/4 in ) prob gonna change housing . Just snap off the rest , get it apart and install new housing . I took it out yesterday to check carbs . Even with only 3 bolts it did 56.6 gps .so now I dont mind putting a few bucks in it . The housing and new bolts are$80 with shipping .I’m just wondering if I should splurge for the stainless wear ring . Looked a little different

A weak impact kinda makes sense in theory . As long as itís not strong enough to snap it . I can try it on the ones Iím planning of snapping anyway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information