Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XLT1200 slight popping at low rpm and skips 4000rpm

Hello, I've been lurking on this site for a while now looking at upgrades and what not because I bought a 2000 XLT1200 that needed a rebuild (pretty much everything other than the PV servo and handle controls) and I found a ton of useful info here but I cant seem too find this issue anywhere. I've rebuild the top end along with the carbs and also resealed the lower end. When I rebuild the carbs I also removed the chokes and accel pump and added aftermarket F/As and a primer and did the fuel pressure balance mod. I followed Oside Bills instructions to the T (http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70129) and set pop off all at 45. Also added a D plate

The issue I am having is that at low RPMs the ski pops a bit which I think could be because I did have the lows turned out an extra 1/8 turn (which I found that out because I had the carbs off again since the first test ride revealed that the throttle was sticking after letting the ski cool down a bit from running temp, hopefully fixed that too) but unsure i'll be testing that tomorrow if I get the time. The more concerning issue IMO is that the ski likes to skip over 4k rpm when I'm slowly puling the trigger, its like there is a sweet spot that it just want to rev up higher right under 4k and skips right to 5k and then will continue to climb normal if I keep slowly pulling the throttle.

Other than those couple issues the ski seems to run great and has lots of power any ideas would be greatly appreciated so thank you in advance.

Any help would be amazing. Thank you

+1
    Not sure about the PV engine, but jumping from 4K to 5K is pretty normal operation for these engines. It's due to the tuned exhaust system and that's where it kicks in and gives it a little boost.

+1
    The popping sound is quite normal for these modified triple 2 strokes…. It’s more pronounced with the straight pipe. It takes some time to get used to it.

But…. If you can feel the sputter in the seat of your pants you have more tuning to do.

Rpm jump

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr View Post
    The popping sound is quite normal for these modified triple 2 strokes…. It’s more pronounced with the straight pipe. It takes some time to get used to it.

But…. If you can feel the sputter in the seat of your pants you have more tuning to do.
    I did feel the sputtering so I tuned it a bit leaner and now it seems good, doesn't pop as much now too so that issue I resolved now. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Not sure about the PV engine, but jumping from 4K to 5K is pretty normal operation for these engines. It's due to the tuned exhaust system and that's where it kicks in and gives it a little boost.
    Huh alright I did read somewhere that it's a tuned exhaust system is there a way to lessen the kick? It seems like it would be an issue when towing but otherwise it doesn't bother me as long as it's not an underlying issue that's going to possibly cause a failure.

+1
    Do you feel a hesitation as you’re accelerating or just hear the popping sound?

Do you feel a hesitation as you’re accelerating or just hear the popping sound?
    I didn't feel a hesitation before it was more like a little kick forward when I heard the pops so I figured it was just a little too much gas.

+1
    Sounds like you have some tuning to do.

Sounds like you have some tuning to do.
    Yeah I got the popping fixed, I'm just trying to figure out the rpm jump now. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information