+1

20 310lx oil out the exhaust pipe mark plate bolt

Hey Guys, Rushing yesterday I completed the 2nd oil change on my ski with 35 hrs, I started it, turned on the hose ball valve and went to grab my sump pump to pump in pink antifreeze for the winter…. When I came out the garage I heard the alarm going off, and saw smoke coming out the engine. Ran over killed it, Heat alarm… realized the water didn’t run (stripped ball valve at hose). I got the water going after a few seconds of figuring out the issue with the ball valve.

the smoke was from oil that was coming from under the Supercharger mark plate on the muffler pipe. Took plate off, oil seemed to come from the center exhaust pipe mounting bolt head (under the marking plate). As you can imagine I’m panicking for being so foolish. From my ring camera I figured out it ran 2 minutes on the fast key with no cooling hose. After about 10 minutes I ran it on water hose, no issues. I returned it to the lake and ran it for 30 minutes. About 10 min 60 mph WOT, 10 min 30-40 mph, 5 min on SLO key about 20/30 mph and 5 min idling. No issues.

I have looked all thru my service manual and don’t see where anything but water and exhaust go though the exhaust pipe. It bolts directly to the exhaust manifold. Oil level is between the marks, not milky. I’m no auto mechanic but I work on HVAC equipment so it’s baffling me where this oil came from and what damage is done. Anything any of you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    You will find that more than likely it was just grease burning off or any lubricant that has collected in the hole over time... in theory you should /could be fine.

Biggest potentially damaged parts will be related to piston to bore components ... ie pistons, rings, cylinder plating...

You could bore scope it to see if there is any obvious bad scoring....

Failing that do a compression test and leakdown test to give you an educated assumed condition of your engine...

You have 2 options
    1. Ride it for a few hrs normally, don't abuse it, don't baby it and monitor oil usage if any.
    2. Strip the engine and possible find nothing

Personally I'd bore scope it, if all looks OK from that visual inspection run it for a few hrs with constant checks and go from there.

Waz

3. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the reply. I tried to scope it but my Milwaukee bore scope is too large. I checked compression. How do these compression numbers look for a 2020 with 35 hours.

10/15/2021
    Compression Test 1 front of jet ski

1=140# WOT 160
    2=140 160
    3=142 164
    4=145 165

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    those numbers look darn good considering your circumstance.

at worst, the end of that engine will come 3.7254 hours sooner then previous

according to extended calculations I ran on my TRS-80

+1
    What do you meant 140 wot 160.

+1
    Took readings with out throttle and realized that I was supposed to hold throttle wide open.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cam29906 View Post
    Took readings with out throttle and realized that I was supposed to hold throttle wide open.
    OK that's right.

Thread Information