2001 GTX wonít go over 4000RPM under load

Hello everyone. Iíve stayed away from the boating family as long as possible for this very reason 😂.

Here I am, busting out another thousand to fix my skis.

Problem: I purchased this 2001 GTX Direct Injection Ski about three weeks ago. Took it out the first weekend and it ran like a champ. 2nd weekend, was running fine but then all of a sudden wouldnít go about 4000RPM. No dash lights. Took it back to the pier and popped the seat of to look for anything obvious. Nothing. The ski revs fine out of the water.

I listened to it idle for a minute and it does seem to be missing, every 6-13 seconds it seems to jump up high very quickly, then back down.

Plugs have spark, rectifier seems to be working correctly. Bat charges while on.

Im new to skis and have no idea where to start with these things. I called one mechanic and he laughed at me and told me to sell them lol.

+1
    Unfortunately you picked one of the most problematic two cycle skis there is. The 951 engine in carbureted form was known to blow crankshafts and pistons and then to add fuel to the fire Sea-Doo put a very complex fuel injection system on it. You probably won't find a tech or parts to service the system. Sorry to be the pessimist....

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    The fuel pump is likely failing

that's a problem because it unobtanium

low fuel pressure will not throw any codes btw

and sorry, when the first thing somebody says to me is that I just got a great deal on a 951 DI.... I laugh, too. Was not Seadoos most shining moment for sure. Most die around 250 hours and you could buy a good 4-tec for what any real work on those skis is going to cost you if you farm it out, assuming you can find somebody to farm it out too

Before any of your pals gets some smart ideas about autozone..... the 951 fuel pump is unique in its high pressure output ( over 100PSI) and there has been no aftermarket version that every worked correctly and besides that they draw too much electrical power

ok, now that the finger wagging is over some advice:

You'll need a fuel pressure gauge with a splice/ t fitting to measure the fuel pressure use TWO high quality hose clamps ( norma style advised) on each end of the splice. A line blowing off is gonna set your place on fire, guaranteed. 100PSI

if you want to just throw some quick money at it on a hail mary, replace the fuel filter after you pull it and check it for blockage. If the filter is good and the fuel pressure reads low, there is a slim chance that just the pump sock is bad( its been sitting in ethanol for years) but have fun pulling the fuel pump ( that's why techs laugh actually, and the fact is that without a code reader, even decent mechanics don't have a chance at fixing this model if its MAINT lamp is on and the battery is cahrging

..and welcome aboard GH

I
    Have
    Spoken

+1
    I am very well versed in the DI machines. Lots of truth in what these guys are saying. Just this morning I finished one up that another shop mangled. I've straightened everything out and will be lake testing it tonight.
    My first thought from your description is a bad spark plug. TRY NEW PLUGS FIRST!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    While new plugs are always a go to, Iím kinda doubting that they are the problem

Of course I have no problem being proven wrong but that rpm bounce is telling me the fuel pressure is fluctuating along with the number of years the fuel pump has been in service. Possible air compressor issue, depending on hours

I just had to pull the pump on my 94 Cherokee Iíll spare (most of) the details except itís as ugly as any mungy Kawasaki 15f pump assembly Iíve ever seen and pricey as like the DI, this particular tank setup was only used for 3 years

Ok one other detailÖ

Getting it out did not require dropping the tank!

OP

and how many hours on this machine?Ö.

Let me take a moment to thank BRP marketing for giving this monstrosity the green light, yeah I know why they did it (Kawasaki 1200) but I cannot ignore the money I made off them

Paid for my Candoo easily

Oh yeah one last thingÖ
    There is actually a seadoo boat model that has TWO of these engines in it, youíll want to take a pass on that, unless you are parting it out. Good money in Di salvage when you can pick up a blown one for a couple of hundred

Canít help myself folks, I like ragging on one of the worst Jetskiís ever made (at least from the service standpoint) actually a pretty nice machine if you had one new and used it alot while it was in warranty

Today, itís a yugo, a barn find wet jet is far more appealing to me

6. +1 by:

+1
    One thing on the DI machines for sure........they WILL NOT tolerate anything in the whole system that is not working 100%.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I am very well versed in the DI machines. Lots of truth in what these guys are saying. Just this morning I finished one up that another shop mangled. I've straightened everything out and will be lake testing it tonight.
    My first thought from your description is a bad spark plug. TRY NEW PLUGS FIRST!
    You are a far better man than I am just by taking them in. I have a canned answer whenever someone asks me to work on a DI. And it ends with me telling them that Iíd rather not touch it and make them a little mad now for free than seriously Pissed off at me after theyíve sunk a bunch of money into the ski and itís still not right.

Itís crazy that the same orbital injection system is used on optimax outboards and those motors are decently reliable.

To the OP, best of luck with the ski. I had one years ago doing what yours is doing and backflushing the inline fuel filter with carb cleaner brought it back to life. For a little while anyway.

+1
    Side note.......the DI I whipped back into shape ran flawlessly tonight at every rpm for 25 minutes. I was satisfied with plug color and came back home.

Thread Information