+1

Never did 10 hour oil change after break in... at 22 hours now?!

I never changed my oil after10 hour break in. I know metal particles get in the oil from engine breaking in. Im at 22 hours and season is almost over. Oil is still golden , can I go a few more hours? OR should I change it asap on my 21 PX thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyx1000 View Post
    I never changed my oil after 10 hour break in.
    … I am at 22 hours and season is almost over.

Oil is still golden, can I go a few more hours?

OR should I change it asap on my 2021 PX? …
    Why wait to change the oil?

Is there warranty coverage that you want to retain intact?

A dealer approved and recorded oil change ‘now’ might ‘save’ your warranty coverage.

+1
    I like to run a few hours on the last oil change of the season to move it through the engine. Go ahead and do it now or wait until you are about done for the season. It won't matter. Consider sending a sample for testing to Blackstone or another lab to monitor for any issues especially during warranty. If you pick up some coolant or something on the analysis, you can make sure and have it repaired under warranty.

+1
    I never changed my oil after10 hour break in. I know metal particles get in the oil from engine breaking in. Im at 22 hours and season is almost over. Oil is still golden , can I go a few more hours? OR should I change it asap on my 21 PX thanks
    Where did you get the idea that the oil needs to be changed at 10 HRS? The oil filter will trap all of the harmful filings. I change my oil before an extended layup but I don't see why it couldn't be used for 50 engine hours as long as the level is maintained.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    Where did you get the idea that the oil needs to be changed at 10 HRS? ...
    Yamaha recommends the SVHO engine factory fill oil be changed after ten running hours from new.
    Then every 50 running hours or seasonally.

I do not know about Seadoo specifically but it seems possible that the initial factory fill oil is slightly different as it is present during initial engine ‘break-in’ and a special oil can have properties than can assist with that.

+1
    It's the life blood of your engine!!

7. +1 by:

+1
    I personally am a fan of doing a very early oil change after engine break in regardless of manufacturer recommendations, and then in fact another not long after that.

As an example from the motorcycle world: Completely standard Yamaha R6 engine run in for maximum ring seal and power. Sourced from Yamaha before dealer delivery etc etc. Warm up engine on first start, then do ~12 lap session (20-30 miles). Progressively use more throttle and rpm over the course of the session, up to everything it's got by the end, but with only light use of the brakes so that the engine does a lot of compression braking to scavenge combustion chambers. Change oil and filter. Then 2 full regular sessions, and change oil again. Then 4 sessions and change oil and filter, and engine is fully run in.

That first oil change had more metal fleck in it than any after that. Imagine that running around in the engine and/or clogging up the filter for however long until the first oil change.

IMO any new engine of any type will benefit from early run in oil changes. Cheap performance and reliability enhancement.

It is never bad to change your oil early except to your wallet. Does it help or hurt to change it early? Folks been argueing that since the dawn of time and it won't stop anytime soon. According to the manual the first oil change is at 50 hours and then once a season or every 100 hours after the first one. So as long as you change it before it hits 50 or there abouts you are good with the manufacturer. Sure, there are particles in the oil that the filter catches. On the first oil change you get what initially was caught in the filter out. But I will say that is the purpose of the filter and as long as it doesn't clog up (with an excessive amount of shavings/particles) then you should be ok. To have enough shavings and particles to clog up the filter to the point of it not working as designed then I would say you have other problems going on and it would be noticed long before the 50 hours. But again, it doesn't hurt to change it early for peace of mind. Oh, and BRP does not use break in oil.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information