Another 2014 Timing Chain Question - I'm Late To The Game

New to the forum and yes I have searched the issue here and other forums. Would have taken it to the boat forums, but the topic is much more prevalent in PWC's. I need your advice on my situation please.

Bought a 2014 SX190 (1.8HO) with 8 hours on it in April 2015. Trouble-free for 6 1/2 years and unfortunately I never had a need to get all involved in the forums with it (have Jeeps for that). With 117.8 hours on it, the timing chain broke a few weeks ago. I suddenly became ill as I researched, and confirmed what had happened and has been an issue for years without my knowledge.

I called Yamaha corporate and they said maybe could do "in-kind" assistance and first step would be get it to a dealer. Called the nearest dealer 2 hours away and they too agreed Yamaha might help, but did caution that heads, etc are on indefinite backorder. Towed it there - they confirmed and called Yamaha, and they said it was too far out of warranty period (never had YES - bought used so was never offered), and they wouldn't do anything about it. At dealer's direction I called Yamaha corporate back, was nice and then not-so-nice to two customer reps who basically said nothing would be done despite my case to the BBB, etc, etc. Needless to say I'm furious they won't cover an issue that should have been recalled and if it had happened sooner they would have most likely taken care of. Yamaha can kiss my ....

Here's where you come in -- now what? I have the boat back now but what do I do with it aside from pray that it gets stolen? Range of options that I have come up with are:
    1) Sell it and take the loss and never buy a Yamaha again. Tried to trade to the dealer - they wouldn't even quote it. This is what I'm leaning towards but who knows what I'll get for it. Market was ~$25k before break.
    2) Take it to a PWC mechanic to ..... ? Even if they're willing to rebuild it, is that a feasible ($$/reliable) solution?
    3) Buy a used 2016+ PWC for $12k + and have the guts swapped in. Seems wasteful and expensive.
    4) ??

1 PWC and 1 outboard ski boat and 1 5.7V8 I/O and all 3 were headaches. Thought I was on to something with this one but alas ....

Thanks for any help!

Lake Lion
    +1
    Bring it by. We'll fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbutta View Post
    Bring it by. We'll fix it.

Thanks - but I forgot to mention Iím in Missouri! Willing to travel but Jersey might be a bit far!

+1
    Just need a head of any other 1800cc motor they come up from a crashed ski then fit the upgraded svho 5 link chain if you wish the chain isnít a big deal the head, does it need pistons? Head Is the issue as limited availability other wise itís. $2_5k repair

4) get local shop to pull the motor send to a pwc shop for a rebuild re-install you have 5 months to get it sorted find the parts etc

+1
    fix and sell if your scared or fix it right and learn.

+1
    New head on Facebook for $3600

Its amazing these companies stay in business. Don't feel bad, even after Yamaha new of the chain issue they continued with the same design until 2016!! I like the idea of finding an old VXR and swapping engines. Who cares about the hours, swap and sale. Repairing what you have lends yourself to more headaches when the repair isnt right, oil leaks, there is a strange tick etc. option two what is boat worth with good engine, deduct value of used donor wave runner and sale and work a couple month before retiring to pay for it, lol. never buy yamaha again.....

Thread Information