Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

2009 Yamaha FZR 1800 supercharged power lose.

Hi everyone, I have a 2009 yamaha fzr1800 that has a strange problem. When I first set off there is no power and the ski only seem to rev to about 5k rpm and about 35 mph but feel like no boost. After about five minutes or so I switch it off and restart it it has loads of power but sometimes no power. When it loses power I switch it off then back on then it gas power again, the more I'm on it the better it seems. Has anyone had a similar problem?? I've given it a full service, New plugs air filter etc, I have also checked the supercharger and it only spins one direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

+1
    Split throttle body mount or boost leak elsewhere is possible so is a bad coil or injector start simple……. Need accurate rpm figures not just “lots of power” or “no power”

how many hours? How long have you owned the ski?

+1
    Thanks for you reply. The ski has done 205 hours I've only had it for a year. I've probably done 20 hours in that time. When it's going well it will rev up to 7500 tomorrow I tend not to try and red line it. When it has the power lose the revs change from 3000 to 5000 rpm range.

Hope this helps.

+1
    Sounds like a boost leak for sure, check the J tube.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gillies View Post
    … The ski has done 205 hours.

I've only had it for a year.
    I've probably done 20 hours in that time.

When it's going well it will rev up to 7500

When it has the power loss the revs change from 3000 to 5000 rpm range.

Hope this helps.
    This is the SHO engine, correct?

3,000 RPM sounds low but 5,000 RPM is about right for an engine that has lost boost pressure. The supercharger clutch (especially if the clutch is original) may be slipping intermittently. 200 running hours is within the range where the clutch may have become worn enough to slip.

I think Yamaha has twice updated the clutch since your 2009 engine was new. There is a kit sold in the GH store that includes the updated clutch and the other parts (idler gear, different bolts) needed to update an SHO supercharger.

I imagine the SHO clutch removal process is quite similar to the SVHO engine clutch. I have posted photos and how-to info for SVHO clutch change. Installing the clutch upgrade kit would be similar.

Which bolts are removed for the oil pump, to get at the SVHO supercharger clutch?

+1
    Thanks to everyone for there suggestions, I'm sure it's the supercharger. I done a smoke test on it tonight and no sign of leaks so I took the air intake pipe off and started the engine, the charger spins for about 2 seconds then stops spinning all together even if I blip the throttle. So I'm sure the clutch is failing under load.

Thanks again.

+1
    If clutch is original ( very possible) you need the updated idler gear too parts cost is about £800 plus labour you can diy it I have twice, the super charger holding tool helps!

it’s fiddly but not difficult…….

+1
    I've already got it stripped but I need to get the tool, where is the best place to get the parts in the UK?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gillies View Post
    I've already got it stripped but I need to get the tool, where is the best place to get the parts in the UK?
    Have you already ordered the new supercharger clutch and related update kit?

If not, you might find it worthwhile to order from the GH Performance store. You can include the tool in the order.

+1
    I've not ordered it yet, it has the 57 tooth sprocket which I believe is the upgraded one, can anyone confirm is that is correct? How long does it take for delivery to the UK if I order on here ?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information