Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coil #1 popping off…ideas?

So I had my machine out yesterday for a couple hours and I noticed I was experiencing a weird condition after fairly extended top speed runs. My number one cylinder coil would pop off just enough to cause a misfire. It seems this would only happen on deceleration after extended wide open throttle runs. I’ve already checked the obvious culprits such as an improperly torqued spark plug and possible combustion chamber gases escaping from the head gasket. Each time this would happen I would just pop the seat and push it back into place. I would have no further issues until another wide-open throttle run for 20 seconds or better. My machine is a 2012 GTR it has been modified so it is now basically a stage 2 260. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, I’m aware of the upgrade to the 300 valve covers and the bolt down coils but would rather not at this time.

Look at where the plug seats in the head I have seen rust cause a combustion leak around the plug crush ring.

I manufactured some billet rocker covers for your model years ago that stop the OEM coils from popping out, I have a few left. They are not anodised though, still raw. If interested, I can send you some pics.

+1
    Unfortunately, it sounds like your plug caps are worn and need to be replaced. In over 400 hours of use on my '17 RXT they have been replaced at least two times (under warranty). One thing that occurs is wear in the spring that grasps the threaded end of the spark plug. This reduces retention force that the cap applies.

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    Unfortunately, it sounds like your plug caps are worn and need to be replaced. In over 400 hours of use on my '17 RXT they have been replaced at least two times (under warranty). One thing that occurs is wear in the spring that grasps the threaded end of the spark plug. This reduces retention force that the cap applies.
    This may be the explanation as I found no signs of contamination on the spark plug washers.
    JM219, pm inbound

Quote Originally Posted by JM219 View Post
    I manufactured some billet rocker covers for your model years ago that stop the OEM coils from popping out, I have a few left. They are not anodised though, still raw. If interested, I can send you some pics.
    Trying to PM you but you’re unable to receive them.

I’m not sure why the pm isn’t working. Shoot me an email, info@mastertonmotorsports.com.au , I’ll send some pics tomorrow ����

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I’m not sure why the pm isn’t working. ...
    Private Messaging and Classifieds selling forum access is not allowed for new members with very few posts.

No problem. I was trying to help a fellow member by offering a solution to the problem. After being with BRP/ SeaDoo for over twenty years, I was trying to help. I was not charging any funds for the parts, they were free.
    You can stick this forum up your arse.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    No problem. … I was trying to help. …
    The PM restrictions came into place after multiple members were scammed via the private messaging system. In almost every case the scammer had a very low public post count and was offering items for sale via PM.

You apparently joined GH a decade ago, posted once per year for the first three years and have 5 posts in total. Had you posted a few more times each year you would not have encountered the current restrictions on PM use.

You have posted an email address so the GH member can reach you directly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information