Thread: Re: Exhaust pop

Re: Exhaust pop

Hello,
    I have a 1998 Waverunner GP1200. Today I took my ski out for a ride for the first time this season, and at low throttle in the channel 20-30%, I could hear this popping noise that sounded like popcorn popping from the exhaust behind me. When it would happen the RPMS would fluctuate about + 100-300 RPM, and I would gain a small amount of speed. The popping was constant, but was absent at higher throttle. I could feel the popping too, along with the normal rhythm of the engine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

+1
    Our 1200R does the same thing at part throttle. It has done that since we’ve had it and I haven’t observed any adverse affects from this…. It actually seems normal to me now.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr View Post
    Our 1200R does the same thing at part throttle. It has done that since we’ve had it and I haven’t observed any adverse affects from this…. It actually seems normal to me now.
    All normal then? It scared me, I thought I was going to breakdown in the channel. Any idea what it could be?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by helix757 View Post
    All normal then? It scared me, I thought I was going to breakdown in the channel. Any idea what it could be?
    Could be a number of things. Ours resonates due to the straight pipe but it still pops.

+1
    The strange popping burbling at lower rpms while under a load is very normal on a large bore 2 stroke. You're actually hearing the pulse waves escaping the expansion chamber and those exhaust pulses making their way through a full waterbox. When you start opening up the throttle, the extra power (explosions) keep everything constantly pushed out of the exhaust end and the tone smoothes out.

Kind of like hearing a drag car at idle and low rpm. You hear that nasty rumpity-rump of explosions popping back up through the intake because of the heavy overlap of the cam lobes. But at higher rpm everything comes out through the exhaust in a nice smooth rrooAAAARRR!!

7. +1 by:

+1
    My neighbor once told me "That ski doesn't sound right." I told em..... "It sounds sweet and that is normal." BRRRRRAAAAAAAAPPPPP

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    The strange popping burbling at lower rpms while under a load is very normal on a large bore 2 stroke. You're actually hearing the pulse waves escaping the expansion chamber and those exhaust pulses making their way through a full waterbox. When you start opening up the throttle, the extra power (explosions) keep everything constantly pushed out of the exhaust end and the tone smoothes out.

Kind of like hearing a drag car at idle and low rpm. You hear that nasty rumpity-rump of explosions popping back up through the intake because of the heavy overlap of the cam lobes. But at higher rpm everything comes out through the exhaust in a nice smooth rrooAAAARRR!!
    Gotcha, so what is causing the jump in RPMS and slight jolt in speed when they occur. They are irregular, not following any rhythm.

+1
    The exhaust has to push the water out of the full waterbox

Thread Information