Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,148
    +1
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    LOL...fine tuning? 500 rpm increments is fine tuning. The exception is 5750, 6750, 7750 (250) , then 200 rpm increments above 8200.
    You have much more experience with the 4 strokes than I, but if I was dialing in a prop, 500 is not fine tuning. I guess most folks look at the MPH, but the old carb two stroke tuner in me watches for any drop of more than 20 rpm at WOT. Since I don't have an EGT or AFR, I am very interested in movements of less than 100.

  2. #12
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,203
    +1
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    I meant something in this scenario...

    Say your ski is running 8000 RPM and you add some minor mod and now RPM is 8100 what did you gain? Assuming they round up at 50, with 100 increments you don't even know if the original RPM was 8000, it could have been 7950 or 8040. Maybe you're really now at 8140 or 8050, no way to tell without logging.

    There's a point where only 1 RPM will be the difference between showing 8000 vs showing 8100.
    The minor mod should, could be seen as 1 mph gain via gps. Everyone with a reflash should datalog. Not doing so is speed left on the table.....the point of fine tuning.

  3. #13
    ptscon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,814
    +1
    1,043
    Nah this is just plain stupid, I defend BRP on stuff but not this. Exact RPM may not be super important on road vehicles but on a watercraft it's the most important thing other than fuel gauge and safety warnings.

    I have a '22 PX on order with the color cluster, so yeah it's annoying having that fancy cluster and seeing less precise RPM than my 10 year old ski.


  4. #14
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,203
    +1
    2,656
    ***

  5. #15
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,203
    +1
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    You have much more experience with the 4 strokes than I, but if I was dialing in a prop, 500 is not fine tuning. I guess most folks look at the MPH, but the old carb two stroke tuner in me watches for any drop of more than 20 rpm at WOT. Since I don't have an EGT or AFR, I am very interested in movements of less than 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Nah this is just plain stupid, I defend BRP on stuff but not this. Exact RPM may not be super important on road vehicles but on a watercraft it's the most important thing other than fuel gauge and safety warnings.

    I have a '22 PX on order with the color cluster, so yeah it's annoying having that fancy cluster and seeing less precise RPM than my 10 year old ski.
    We all know the speedo is not accurate, what makes you think the rpm gauge is accurate? I view BRPs decision to eliminate smaller rpm increments as an admission that is isn't accurate. Weather wise, maximum rpm will vary every day due to changing conditions of air temp, humidity, and barometric pressure.

    That said, do as the Yamaha guys do, install a small external tach, OR, Datalog it!

    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ght=tachometer

  6. #16
    ptscon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,814
    +1
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    We all know the speedo is not accurate, what makes you think the rpm gauge is accurate? I view BRPs decision to eliminate smaller rpm increments as an admission that is isn't accurate. Weather wise, maximum rpm will vary every day due to changing conditions of air temp, humidity, and barometric pressure.

    That said, do as the Yamaha guys do, install a small external tach, OR, Datalog it!

    RPM comes from the ECU so 100% they have an accurate data source for cluster on the can-bus otherwise logging would also show 100 incremental readings. They just chose to round it to nearest 100 for whatever silly reason it seems. In my books this is not OK on a top of the line performance machine, I want more data not less.

    Adding a tach gauge is caveman stuff going backwards.

  7. #17
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,203
    +1
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    RPM comes from the ECU so 100% they have an accurate data source for cluster on the can-bus otherwise logging would also show 100 incremental readings. They just chose to round it to nearest 100 for whatever silly reason it seems. In my books this is not OK on a top of the line performance machine, I want more data not less.

    Adding a tach gauge is caveman stuff going backwards.

    Maybe Andy (Dash Pac) has something in the works to "fix" this situation. Until then, go caveman!

  8. #18
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,148
    +1
    156
    This continues to irritate me. The ECU knows exactly what the RPMs are, display it.
    At what point does my tach show 8100? Does it round up.....down?? Since it jumps from 8000 to 8100, Is 8060 shown as 8000 or as 8100? I would love to check it with my Tiny Tach, but it won't read a 4 stroke triple...........


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pics of your Tiny Tach or Pet200 tach mounted on your FZR/S/SHO
    By JoeyDFZS in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-13-2015, 02:36 PM
  2. Anybody tried "Fast Tach" from the makers of Tiny Tach?
    By toyterrific in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM
  3. looking for a tach
    By rich.allen in forum Yamaha Projects & Build Threads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM
  4. Tach for X-4?
    By Windjet in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 05:56 PM
  5. What is the best tach out there?
    By Tanny in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 07:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •