MSX150 found some copper grit in bottom of coolant tank

Got a MSX150 today and found some copper coloured grit on the bottom of the coolant tank. Is it cause for concern? What is that from? the turbo bushings? TIA

+1
    Does it overheat? Sounds like someone has put some head gasket fix-in-a-bottle in the coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ye Ol Salty Dog View Post
    Does it overheat? Sounds like someone has put some head gasket fix-in-a-bottle in the coolant.

AHhh... that makes sense.. There's a coolant leak... so perhaps they tried to add something... BUT... i found the leak.. it's the couplers going to the oil cooler.. That has popped off. Looks like it's quite the task to get into there. From what I gather.. looks like I'll have to pull the head.. remove the intercooler... inorder to access that area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210924_172353.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	478884

Found the culprit. Wasn't as bad to get at it like I initially thought.

+1
    Unfortunately, the boots popping off the oil cooler are likely not a cause of your issues, they’re likely a result of a blown head gasket over-pressurizing the cooling system. If you reinstall the boots and refill the coolant, don’t wander too far from your trailer as it will likely overheat and/or spill the coolant again. I hope I’m wrong, it’s a motor pull to replace/repair the head gasket.

Give us an update when you have a chance to test.

6. +1 by:

Unfortunately, the boots popping off the oil cooler are likely not a cause of your issues, they’re likely a result of a blown head gasket over-pressurizing the cooling system. If you reinstall the boots and refill the coolant, don’t wander too far from your trailer as it will likely overheat and/or spill the coolant again. I hope I’m wrong, it’s a motor pull to replace/repair the head gasket.

Good to know.... I didn't know what would cause that hose to pop off, but headgasket issue does make sense.

So took it for a run yesterday.. started up fine when first dropped into the water... took it out... shut it off while I was out and it wouldn't restart... got towed back to the dock and it seems to have a weak battery... Soooooo.... gonna replace the battery and go for test #3. ..... had to fix a few items already... bent reverse cable, broken steering through hull plastic fitting.

BUT.... on the run out.. It was very slow.. a Virage 800 was pulling away. SO... maybe there is a head gasket issue.

Hope to get things figured out before it gets to cold and have to get put away.

+1
    Interestingly enough, if your head gasket was bad, you likely wouldn’t notice a reduction of power. More likely, you’d have an overheating problem, coolant loss, coolant in oil, oil in coolant, or some combination of those unfavorable factors.

if you’re not seeing the maximum output that you’d expect, you likely have a boost leak or a bad wastegate control solenoid IF no check engine light is flashing. If you have a check engine light, take note of what your maximum engine rpm is and we can likely diagnose what may be causing your power limitation.

Interestingly enough, if your head gasket was bad, you likely wouldn’t notice a reduction of power. More likely, you’d have an overheating problem, coolant loss, coolant in oil, oil in coolant, or some combination of those unfavorable factors.

if you’re not seeing the maximum output that you’d expect, you likely have a boost leak or a bad wastegate control solenoid IF no check engine light is flashing. If you have a check engine light, take note of what your maximum engine rpm is and we can likely diagnose what may be causing your power limitation.
    I'll see if I remember to do a compression test...maybe that'll reveal something.

I didn't notice any coolant/water in the oil tank... nor oil residue in the coolant tank. will try to take notice.

The connections were checked over when the intercooler was pulled off. Not sure about the wastegate solenoid... Although it is an updated version with the bracket mounted onto the valve cover.

Hopefully get it out in the next couple days to test.

I pulled the map sensor off and it was "wet" which I assume it's not suppose to have any fluid in the intake tract. Not sure where the residue would be coming from.. PERHAPS... coolant was drawn in through the intake box.. since the coolant coupler popped off and it's right in that area.... maybe that was causing a bad reading for the sensor.. well.. I cleaned it off.. hopefully... that'll fix the issue.

WELP.. Looks like you were correct. Overheated and coolant everywhere.... So.... what's the step of head gasket on this guy? Any upgrades while it's out and apart? 36mm turbo? BOV? Suggestions?

Thread Information