+1

Steven in Sales’ Six Easy Steps for PWC Winterization

As summer ends, it’s time for some of us to winterize our jet skis. If you are unsure of how to do this or need a refresher, Steven in Sales has a guide. We’ll touch on some key points, and you can check out the complete guide from Steven in Sales here.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 09-23-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    😞 … another not-entirely-functional article. *

Pouring anti-freeze into a modern Yamaha PWC using a funnel into the Yamaha garden hose flush connector will not deliver any anti-freeze into the actual engine, and probably very little into the exhaust and waterbox. And none through the intercooler.

The Yamaha flush system depends upon garden hose pressure and flow to force the water through the X (SVHO supercharged engines) or Y (HO non-supercharged) connector down low inside the hull and then up into the engine. Slow flow rates (such as gravity feed through a funnel) will simply drain out directly through the jet pump.

Seeing anti-freeze dump out the back tells you very little about how effective the anti-freeze treatment is.

The Yamaha raw water cooling system is designed to be self-draining using gravity. Which is where the anti-freeze goes when it is poured in without significant flow+pressure.

On my own Yamaha I have installed a tow valve in the water feed hose from the jet pump. When the tow valve is closed there is no self-draining so the water or anti-freeze going into the flush port flows towards the engine and intercooler. I use the tow valve when flushing the engine after salt water riding, but it would also work for anti-freeze. Tow valve is re-opened after flushing and the system then self-drains.

Since the Yamaha cooling system is self-draining I do not use anti-freeze despite storing them in a non-heated building in an area that experiences freezing cold winter temperatures. This will be the fifth winter without anti-freeze for my current pair of Yamaha SVHO watercraft.

My previous PWC were also self-draining and also stored without using anti-freeze. No ill effects during the decade of winters we had them in unheated winter storage.

Yamaha GP1800 SVHO Long Term Storage winterization process

* The article does not mention a reason for pouring anti-freeze into the cooling system via the flush port. For salt water riding flushing with a garden hose and domestic water after riding is common practice. For fresh water riding post-ride flushing is not common.

For Yamaha the Owner’s Manual does not mention anti-freeze at all, even in the section on Long term storage and winter.
    Flushing is mentioned but this would seem to be meaningful mostly for non-fresh water operated engines.
    Long Term Storage info is found on Page 82 for my 2017 GP1800.

Yamaha Owner’s manuals in PDF form are available for free download from Yamaha.
    https://waverunners.yamaha-owners-manuals.com/

Yamaha Service manuals are also available, but not free.
    https://yamahapubs.com/

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3050366

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3050366

3. +1 by:

+1
    Rather than spending the effort to negate a short recap of a 3rd party article, why don't you let me pay you to write a PROPER how-to article for our larger audience?

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    … write a PROPER how-to article for our larger audience?

7. +1 by:

+1
    Seriously. I pay for content (Net 45). Ask Greg. email me at kevin.shaw@shawgroupmedia.com

Thread Information