+1

Coolant reservoir questionS

Hello all,

I did do a search but, haven’t found any posts quite specific to my questions …

I had the top off our 2019 TRixx today, knocking out an end-off-season oil, filter and spark plugs change when I noticed the coolant level is well below the “Cold Level” line (the engine was dead cold when I noticed it and took the attached photos. (Having difficulty uploading a photo but, the level is such that the entire reservoir isn’t quite full.

Question 1: is the level in the photos such that I need to take the top 1/2 off (again! Arghhh! ) and top that coolant reservoir level off, before the granddaughter's next (2nd) season riding?

Question 2: am I correct that I can simply pour more into the reservoir, as pictured? (That is, I don’t have to “bleed” any lines …)

Question 3: am I correct it’d be best to $vck it up and simply get what I need to use straight from my dealer? (What I need isn’t necessarily waiting for me at the Oreillynor Advanced Auto down the street?)

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	279F8979-182C-4FD5-93C2-53476B05D4E5.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	478688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	892AD6DB-325D-4C61-9E86-5806022924CB.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	478687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA3335DB-86FA-430B-980B-1A976634CFE0.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	478689  

+1
    More importantly, find out where it's going!!

+1
    Excellent point guy. I wasn’t concerned about a leak or anything given I don’t recall the level being all the way up to that line originally from the dealer but moreover the orientation of that overflow opening and the number of tail stands, slides, j hook turns and jumping the ski has done over the course of the last 3 years.

Its at 44-hour mark but, when we ride it we do so in a way I’d be surprised if any liquid wasn’t coming out that hose opening in top of bottle , the way it’s designed …

Do those reservoirs never lose any coolant after 3 seasons of jumping wakes, riding sideways, etc?
    Last edited by Thor; 09-20-2021 at 06:11 AM.

+1
    This is my take on your three questions:

1. No major issue riding with that level, you still have plenty in the system. But you do not need to take the top off to add some, just do it through the maintenance hatch on the left side.

2. Just pour it in, no bleeding, that is just an expansion container.

3. Any long life OAT ethylene glycol-based coolant will do, 50/50 mixed with de-ionized water, preferably pink to keep the color clean.

But as mentioned, coolant isn't really supposed to disappear, but I have also had to top it up over the years without any leaks, I guess some vaporize by the heat over time.

+1
    Thank you both, guybb3 and RXP-SWE! ; I’m going to top it off and watch it closely next season (everything water-fun-related going into winter storage now and we’re just ahead of an incoming, significant rain event).

Im gonna go wherever I have to for that same pink color as well as de-ionized water; wanna do this right as now that the granddaughter is big enough to operate this thing she is hooked, big-time!!!!

+1
    Hey Thor,

Q1 You don't need to take top off. I use a small funnel and 1 foot hose to top mine up through the access panel.

Q2 pour it in to the fill line.

Q3 I just bought a small jug from my dealer.

Now make sure you check the level every ride to make sure its at the same level.
    There is a thread here from 2017 about coolant issues. I was one that was loosing coolant regularly. It ended up being the water pump gasket and was replaced by the dealership under warranty. 2017 sparks have service notice. I had to call my dealer and give them my VIN to see if I was part of the service notice (which I was).
    I have had no issues with loss of coolant since.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Thank you both, guybb3 and RXP-SWE! ; I’m going to top it off and watch it closely next season (everything water-fun-related going into winter storage now and we’re just ahead of an incoming, significant rain event).

Im gonna go wherever I have to for that same pink color as well as de-ionized water; wanna do this right as now that the granddaughter is big enough to operate this thing she is hooked, big-time!!!!
    Don't use DI water. Use distilled instead. A buck a gallon at the grocery store!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by guybb3 View Post
    Don't use DI water. Use distilled instead. A buck a gallon at the grocery store!
    LOL, you musta read my mind (which I imagine is a scary read! ) as I just finished looking up the difference between de-ionized and distilled water!

https://www.uswatersystems.com/deionized-water-vs-distilled-water

Quote: When distilled water is exposed to the air over time, it essentially becomes deionized water.

Hey, I just wanna say, “Thanks!” again to everyone!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    LOL, you musta read my mind (which I imagine is a scary read! ) as I just finished looking up the difference between de-ionized and distilled water!

https://www.uswatersystems.com/deionized-water-vs-distilled-water

Quote: When distilled water is exposed to the air over time, it essentially becomes deionized water.

Hey, I just wanna say, “Thanks!” again to everyone!
    Sorry about that, I'm also using distilld water, a bit of language confusion on my side there

Thread Information