Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

1993 NON-modular jet pump removal? SL650 or SL750

I've searched the entire forum to find find the proper way to remove the jet pump on my old 1993 SL650.

According to the shop manual, you only have to remove the 4 nuts holding the pump assembly to the hull. Did that, remove the ride plate for a better access, but the pump would not budge.

Using penetrating oil, a screw driver and hammering from down under, I was able to get some separation from the back part on the right side, but not on the left side.

I've read old posts on the same subject dealing with less old SL650 and SL750. The pump assembly design was modified from 1994 and on (no 4 long bolts to remove on 1992 and 1993 models).

Looked at K447 videos, but that did not apply for a 93 SL650.

Does anybody ever remove the jet pump on 650 or 750 on a 1992 or 1993 and if so how did you proceed?
    Thanks
    Last edited by K447; 09-21-2021 at 07:21 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hbernier View Post
    I've searched the entire forum to find find the prper way to remove the jet pump on my old 93 SL650. According to the shop manual, you only have to remove the 4 nuts holding the pump assembly to the hull. Did that, remove the ride plate for a better access, but the pump would not budge. Using penetrating oil, a screw driver and hammering from down under, I was able to get some separation from the back part on the right side, but not on the left side.
    I've red old posts on the same subject dealing with less older SL650 and SL750. The pump assembly design was modified from 1994 and on (no 4 long bolts to remove on 92 and 93 models). Looked at K447 videos, but that did not apply for a 93 SL650.
    Does anybody ever remove the jet pump on 650 or 750 on a 92 or 93 and if so how did you proceed?
    Thanks
    No one ever encountered that problem! May be I posted in the wrong section.

+1
    That tells me I should have bought a Sea-Doo...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hbernier View Post
    That tells me ...
    I have never worked on a pre-1994 Polaris jet pump. Other than the service manuals I do not have direct knowledge about how to work on those original jet pumps. Apparently neither have the other members who have seen this thread.

I do know that the common recommendation for people with 1992&1993 jet pumps was to remove the original and install a newer 1994-1995 modular jet pump, from an SL650 in your case. The 148mm diameter impeller should have close to the correct pitch for your earlier version engine and there is lots of info and parts available to service and rebuild the modular jet pumps.

+1
    Early Polaris are pretty unique animals. Maybe if you give us some pictures we can help. I've never dealt with one either. But if you were looking at a Sea Doo from that era, you would be looking at a total mess of an engine. Rotax is needlessly complex and convoluted, finally took one apart a while ago. I really am not a fanboy or anything, I like Polaris, Yamaha, Kawasaki, even Tigershark. But Sea Doo two strokes are really bizarre and have some baffling design choices.

+1
    It is just a matter of removing the ride plate and the 4 nuts from inside the hull. The pump will be very well stuck to the hull with factory silicone/adhesive.

You also need to disconnect the cooling water intake hose from the fitting as well as the water siphon hoses. They could be preventing your removal.

You can see all sides of a removed pump at this ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17478990138...kAAOSwKaxgt9o2

+1
    Once you separate from the hull, you will then need to pull the pump along with the driveshaft free. It may also stick in there so don't get discouraged there as well.

+1
    Thanks guys! I was finally able to take it off the hull. What a pain in the a...! I would be glad to replace the 146 mm jet pump with a 148 mm one. Found some on eBay, but shipping cost from the USA to Canada is prohibitive. I need to find an impeller removal tool. Would like to buy a used one or rent one. Does anyone has one to sell or rent?

I've checked ads on the web for a used Yamaha or SeaDoo. Found some interesting machines, but would stick to my old SL650, if I can unseize the impeller.

Great forum with great helping guys!

+1
    Impros lists the tool for $14US.
    https://impros.com/store/polaris-imp...ool-wr006.html

If the Impros shipping cost is similar, that is probably as good a total cost as you will find.

I sometimes offer to loan my alignment tool kit and ship it. Deposit required and it is bulky to ship.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2853081

Spline tool in lower right of photo.

I have an old home made impeller spline tool here, made from an old Polaris driveshaft.
    It is heavier and longer than the commercial tools so shipping would cost more.

For this larger home made spline tool the postage cost to send it is probably as much as the tool is worth.

+1
    This online vendor lists it for $10.
    https://www.impellers.com/shop.html#...0cc/p/73485897

I have never used them, and no idea what they are like to do business with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information