Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

FX SHO impeller is smaller diameter than SVHO impeller

I knew this already, but still managed to trip over this difference yesterday. A guy contacted me, said he was on first day of his vacation at a cottage and within fifteen minutes of launching had sucked up a bunch of rocks.

It was a 2015 FX. He contacted a Yamaha dealer and the part number they gave him for a new impeller matched the SVHO OEM impeller I had for sale locally. I agreed to sell him my impeller and do the swap as he did not have tools with him.

When it arrives on his trailer here I glance at the side, yep that is an FX with some more letters after the FX. Pull the pump, and indeed the impeller has rock damage.

Attempt to install the SVHO impeller on the driveshaft and it screws right on but binds tight against the stator hub. Say what? Take it off the driveshaft and sure enough it does not fit into the wear ring. Look more closely at the side of the ski. FX SHO, not FX SVHO. Well, that’s not gonna work

SVHO impeller is 160mm outside diameter while SHO is 155mm.

Ended up hammering the bent impeller back into something resembling the correct blade shape. Filed the rough edges enough to hopefully not cavitate much, and put it back together. When he got it on the water later that day he said it slips a bit during initial acceleration but otherwise runs OK.

Here is the SHO impeller before we straightened it out. Would barely move the ski while the engine was bouncing off the rev limiter. He had to ride it about 20 minutes like that to get back to their trailer.

All three blades were damaged about the same, one blade had almost a reverse curl

Stator vanes also had some leading edge rock damage but overall much less chewed up than I was expecting. Easily filed the leading edges of the aluminum vanes to ‘smooth enough’

Turns out that for 2015 and 2016 Yamaha sold both FX SHO and FX SVHO models. Reminder (to myself) to check which engine it has before jumping in to do work on an FX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00C9DBE1-060D-436B-90BC-5A0F4A911CB4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	478579  

+1
    2015 FX SHO impeller

6CS-R1321-00-00 (6CS00 casting mark)

+1
    You may be getting confused with fx and fz skis, fx didnt drop the sho offering til 16. They ran from 08-16, Fz dropped the sho offering on the 14-16 models in favor of the svho

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamafzs View Post
    You may be getting confused with fx and fz skis, fx didnt drop the sho offering til 2016. They ran from 2008-16, Fz dropped the sho offering on the 2014-16 models in favor of the svho
    My error was simply not actually reading the entire model name on the ski before starting the work. It says SHO right there after the FX, but I merely glanced at the SHO label without actually realizing it did not say SVHO.

2016 was the last year for the SHO engine in the FX hull, going from the online parts listings.

Thread Information