Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,149
    +1
    156

    Anatomy of a Transom Drain Plug

    I never had any issues with the old drain plugs on the 2 strokes. They were simple and lasted forever.
    The newer styles are overly complicated with possibly a check valve and cheap thin connector that seems to twist and break frequently. All of mine are twisted and one has now broken off. What is the little arrowhead binding on and why does it twist the connector? The 2018 and the 2021 are a totally different design, but will most likely still twist and break.

    Is the only solution to keep buying the plug/attachment and installing. Heck, in 20 years, I'll have 10 arrowheads floating around in there.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    1,355
    +1
    215
    My guess is that the tether is snagging on the check ball. It is an unnecessarily complicated design. I keep a spare plug in the trunk of my tow vehicle to replace a lost plug when the tether breaks. To prevent this issue I removed the plug receptacles and sawed off the ends. Removing the ball also allows the bilge to drain faster.

  3. #3
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,149
    +1
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    My guess is that the tether is snagging on the check ball. It is an unnecessarily complicated design. I keep a spare plug in the trunk of my tow vehicle to replace a lost plug when the tether breaks. To prevent this issue I removed the plug receptacles and sawed off the ends. Removing the ball also allows the bilge to drain faster.
    Yes, the check ball really slows the draining. The problem on my 18 is that the drain housing mounts with a nut mounted on the inside. I don't see anyway to get near that nut without removing a lot of pipes and hoses. My 21 is mounted with two torx screws from the outside.

  4. #4
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,210
    +1
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    Yes, the check ball really slows the draining. The problem on my 18 is that the drain housing mounts with a nut mounted on the inside. I don't see anyway to get near that nut without removing a lot of pipes and hoses. My 21 is mounted with two torx screws from the outside.

    Pull the drain plug out of the fitting. Insert in a 3/8" extension into the housing. Use a long screw drive inside the hull to keep the plastic nut from turning. The two part are screwed into each other. Once unscrewed use the same screw driver to remove the nut. Both halves will need sealant.

  5. #5
    Team Bilford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    1,149
    +1
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Pull the drain plug out of the fitting. Insert in a 3/8" extension into the housing. Use a long screw drive inside the hull to keep the plastic nut from turning. The two part are screwed into each other. Once unscrewed use the same screw driver to remove the nut. Both halves will need sealant.
    I looked at the manual and was thinking that I might do just as you described until it looked like the waterbox and other things would have to be pulled to get within 2 feet of those nuts. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough.......


  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    1,355
    +1
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    I looked at the manual and was thinking that I might do just as you described until it looked like the waterbox and other things would have to be pulled to get within 2 feet of those nuts. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough.......
    There's a reason I haven't performed this mod on my RXT-I look at how deep in the bilge it is and lose interest. The mod on the GTR went very well since the receptacle didn't rotate when I used a 3/8" drive extension to unscrew the inner component.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Drain plug
    By 147 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2016, 12:57 AM
  2. drain plug
    By fun rider in forum Polaris Tech Tips and Info
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2015, 09:23 PM
  3. Drain plug location
    By X-Runner in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 07:53 PM
  4. Drain plug assembly
    By Petron in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 03:21 AM
  5. anatomy of a polaris spark plug boot
    By cmcbride in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 09:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •