Anyone ridden both an 1100zxi and an ultra 150?

Hi. I used to own an 1100zxi and my wife liked the way it would "spin out". I had a GP1300R and it wouldn't spin no matter what you did...and I've ridden several of the newer, bulbous, 3 seater skis. She wants a smaller 2 seater that will do that "lose the rear end" maneuver and I didn't know if the Ultra 150 would spin. Anyone know? And were there other models that would or was that a "ZXI" only thing? (And before everyone says "why would you want to lose the rear end" I dunno - I know it wouldn't work for racing or whatever but she just liked it - happy wife happy life etc!) Thanks anyone!

+1
    Welcome aboard, ghostlili!

I've had a couple of ZXis and had fun spinning them. The 150 is a completely different machine. Yes, you can spin it at speeds up to about 35 MPH if you modify the trim and use full up trim. Much faster than that and you're going to get tossed or get hurt.

OK yes of course she would only spin it at a low speed. But you say you have to "modify the trim" which I'm guessing means allow more "up trim than stock". Not sure if that's just an adjustment or if you need aftermarket parts but I'm guessing you're saying if she wants to do that just search for another ZXI. Thanks for the quick response!!

+1
    In stock form, the Ultra 150 has no up trim, only neutral through down. I made a new cable mounting bracket for mine that gives neutral through up. It handles MUCH better. Others have done the same thing or adjusted the cable to give some up. I think a stock 150 will spin at neutral, and it's been so long since I modified mine that I don't remember spinning it with full down. In fact, I hardly ever used down trim.

The Ultra 150 is an amazing machine, but it needs a lot of maintenance. The engines run on the ragged edge most of the time and are prone to self-destruction if they run the least bit lean. There are some other must-do mods for them that are not very expensive. That said, I love mine!

Cool thanks for the info!!

Thread Information