99 sltx hull leaks

Hi , trying to track down a leak . Sealed up around exhaust , and Speedo , but still getting in . What am I missing? Thanks

+1
    Mine was leaking at the output shaft seal. There is a rubber coupler that contains 2 seals and a bearing/bushing. That would be my first guess.

+1
    Run it on a trailer in the water with the seat off. I had a leak on my white pro 785 near the rubber coupler for the drive shaft through hull. Even though it's a hose with hose clamps it needs to be glued up where the hull goes to the rubber tube. Mine leaked pretty good but I only saw it when I gave the ski throttle and when it was on the trailer. I used some semi-permanent bonding agent from the hardware store. I used to use 3M but it is being phased out for some reason. You need something more than silicone, the good stuff will cure even underwater and it'll say that on the label. It will probably be more than $10 for a little tube.

Thank you . You are probably right .I’m gonna give it a shot

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
    … I used to use 3M but it is being phased out for some reason…
    3M - what product name?

+1
    3M 4000, or 5200. Higher number is how permanent you want it to be. You can get 5200 off if you are dedicated but it's more for situations when you're applying things like the wear ring to the hull or gluing the deck to the hull (though I've never done it before). I've used to in a diesel to outboard conversion I helped with a little. It was to seal and help glue the outboard transom box to the hull (obviously we used big bolts too). They used to carry some of that 3M stuff at Ace but last time I went they made it sound like they were phasing it out and were going to carry other polyurethane products. It's pretty expensive, might be why they aren't carrying it like they used to in stores.

So I ran it in water on the trailer . Didn’t see anything but I only could do it for a min or so .people were waiting for boat ramp .I’m going to change coupler any way . They are cheap on Amazon . Don’t sound too difficult.

How long does it take to change the coupler ? what makes it go ? Lack of grease?

Thread Information