Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1100 Pre-ride Tests?

I had planned on getting a 2022 ski, but then things happened and it wasn't on the feasible list anymore and I wanted to make sure we'd use it enough next year to be able to justify it in 2023. That being said, yesterday I picked up a 96 wave venture with 222 hrs on it. Garage most of its life, sounds like it runs good, no knocks or clunks, compression on all 3 cylinders was 125-128.

Is there anything I should especially check before putting it on the water, or just throw it in and enjoy (hopefully)? Should I throw new plugs in and a new fuel filter just to be safe? Check the pisser hose to make sure its clear?

And, is there anyway to know when the oil injector isn't working?

I don't think it's had a rebuild yet, how do I know when its time? My son tells me don't rebuild something unless its needed, forums say around 150hrs. How do I know, just when it runs like crap?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20210913_070106.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	478418  

+1
    222 hours on it without a rebuild? Do it now! Or at least at the end of this season. It's a LOT easier and a LOT cheaper to rebuild one BEFORE it self-destructs.

That said, carefully inspect the oil lines. They are known (designed?) to fall off of that engine and will result in catastrophic failure. Replace with 1/8" ID Tygon tubing and secure the hose with Oetiker clamps or .025" stainless steel safety wire. Pre-fill the hoses before installation. Test the inline pop-off valves before you re-use them. They should flow in only one direction and it should take about 4-5 PSI to open them. Make sure the arrows point toward the carb end of the hoses.

Is there a brand that's better than others for the rebuild kit? Wiseco over sbt right? Do you recommend a website? Thanks for the reply! And I may as well rebuild the carbs too, right? Brand of rebuild kit for those?

Edit:

Found these three but not sure why they say they are for oem specs, but then they are both oversized to different sizes, can you please dumb this down for me? Holy hell the prices are high

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15369...dEiwA2lLMYc6yg

https://www.svspowersports.com/produ...ild-kit-wk1332

https://lionparts.com/products/wsm-t...RoCf1kQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by bobbo268; 09-13-2021 at 11:45 PM.

+1
    I believe the Wiseco pistons are forged, which may require more cylinder clearance. Verify that before ordering. Otherwise, I'd probably use WSM.

I don't like Wiseco gasket sets at all. I use Cometic.

Thanks. Before winter I'm going to take it out a few more times. It runs great other than it bogs down a bit sometimes. It could run fine for 15 minutes then when I come to an idle and try to go again, when I hit the throttle it sounds like its dying. If I feather the throttle 6 or 7 times it starts to run normal again for another 15 minutes. This cycle repeats. I put new gas in before taking it out with some seafoam. It did this the very first ride as well, so I thought it may be old gas, so I siphoned it all out and then ran the new gas with seafoam but the problem continued.

Any ideas?

+1
    It sounds like the carbs are plugged up with gum or damaged from ethanol fuel. This can result in a lean condition which can burn up your engine! Could also be a plugged fuel filter, plugged fuel tank pickup, air leak in the fuel line connections, etc. You really need to fix it before you cause major damage.

was hoping you were going to say "just flip that hidden switch under the seat and it will fix itself" lol. I have one more day on the water so my kid doesn't kill me. Should i run a tank of non-ethanol for the last tank? I put 7 gallons in it and I'm pretty sure it used 7 gallons (or close) in 45 minutes. You'd think it was a v8!

A buddy was saying he's heard tons of horror stories about people rebuilding carbs and even though they "rebuild them correct", the adjustments are so fine that something ends up f*$#ing up and causing major issues. Is this BS?

+1
    Three big problems with rebuilding carbs: Most of the aftermarket parts kits don't meet the OEM specs and you end up with improper fuel metering. People that don't have a clue what they're doing and they end up bending the float lever or assembling stuff in the wrong order. Finally, carbs that are simply destroyed by corrosion due to ethanol or exposure to water. Lots of carbs have been damaged because people couldn't get the screws out.

You should always run non-ethanol fuel if you can get it. Also run StaBil, StarTron, or similar fuel treatment--every time, and especially prior to winter storage.

Is there a carb kit you recommend?

I preordered mikuni kits from summit, backordered everywhere. I found a replacement manifold to carb gasket (the long one) on amazon for 8 bucks. People don't mention replacing this on any tutorials or forum threads (that I could find). Should i replace that for 8 bucks, its probably generic.

heres the link: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2MAAEY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information