Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 2010 gtx 155

I'm still in the process of "learning" this new-to-me 2010 GTX 155 which I fell into a couple months ago. Since day-1, it's been a "lazy" starter. Meaning, after getting the 2-beeps and pressing the start button...there's hesitation, stutter, turn-over and start.

Since this ski had a 3-yr old battery in it...I assumed it was a battery issue. I picked up an East Penn ETX30L with 400cca. Well that didn't solve the problem...in fact if anything the issue has gotten a little worse. Now it's nothing (for a split second), stutter, turn-over and start.

To rule out a charging issue...I put a multi-meter on the battery not running (12.86v) and at idle (14.52v). Looks like the battery is good and the ski is charging fine.

So what is it? Is this just a characteristic of the way these Sea Doos start? Is the solenoid/relay going bad? Is the starter going bad? This ski has only 67 hours on it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    be a safe bet to replace the starter solenoid. always great to have a spare in your dock box

as far as starter solenoids go the number of hours on the ski has no bearing whatsoever on the health of the starting system. We do not have the ability to determine the number of times the engine was started, unlike a hard disk wghich actually does record the number of times it was powered up

the solenoid duty cycle is short, and exceeding it a number of times will overheat it and cook the lubricant inside of it, which may be the cause of your less then instant starter engagement

while the solenoids are much improved over the years you never know what's actually in your ski. The older style with the rivited bottom plate is a notorious dissapointer. The later model all plastic molded solenoids are much better behaved, but like the DESS posts, the need replacement every few years

Your measurements are in spec, I'd be interested in knowing what the battery drops supplies while cranking, that's a good indicator of starter and solenoid health. measure the voltage from the starter side of the solenoid

Thanks nmpeter for the response and suggestions. I will give a new solenoid a try and report back. OEM only on this part?...or is generic OK?

+1
    Measure, then replace

On this critical part Iíd go oem

Iíve be stung a few times on aftermarkets, at a great cost

Twice they stuck on and as a result they fried batteries and starter motors

Even when this happened only twice in ten years over dozens of units it was enough to get me switch back to oem

+1
    If that don't work...the other common problem is the buss bars in the fuse box....

+1
    If you need any parts....I have guite a few for that unit....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Your measurements are in spec, I'd be interested in knowing what the battery drops supplies while cranking, that's a good indicator of starter and solenoid health. measure the voltage from the starter side of the solenoid
    Ok, I replaced the solenoid with new OEM. The old solenoid which came out of the ski was the new style also (all black plastic).

I detect only a very slight improvement when I hit the starter...still very "lazy."

I didn't have a chance to "crank test" with the old solenoid...voltage #'s with new OEM solenoid installed are as follows:

12.8v on the battery resting
    10.8v on the starter side of the solenoid while cranking (split second drop to 8.6v when the starter button 1st pushed).

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Turboted View Post
    If that don't work...the other common problem is the buss bars in the fuse box....
    What exactly do the buss bars do? Are they just a fancy fuse? I was thinking they're either working or they're not. Regardless...while I was back there, I pulled and replaced all the original buss bars without any change in the starting behavior.

This is a fresh water ski with 67hrs...corrosion is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any further help / advice.

+1
    lets see some video of an attempted start, might fall into the perfectly normal sounding bucket

+1
    Clean all your buss bars....

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    lets see some video of an attempted start, might fall into the perfectly normal sounding bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboted View Post
    Clean all your buss bars....
    Will do both and check back...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information