Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SL900. Accidentally reversed polarity on the battery, now no spark. What did I break?

Hi fellas,

Been a while. Hope everyone is well. Long story short, the engine on our SL900 failed at the end of the 2019 season (burnt MAG piston) and I parked it. The virus came along, then our first born came along, and that led to the ski sitting for about a year and a half. I was just going to broom it for parts and buy a brand new ski, but the combination of dealer markups on new machines and my desire to get my hands dirty with a project again prompted me to replace the engine. I got everything pretty much bolted up and went to do a rotational test on the engine with the starter today. After I hit the starter button a few times, I realized that it was spinning the wrong direction and immediately was gut punched with my mistake. I had foolishly reversed the polarity on the battery..... Sigh.

I corrected my stupid mistake, and then knowing that something probably got f'ed up, I tested for spark and I have none. What do y'all think I most likely fried? I double checked all of my connections and that none of the fuses in the electrical box are blown. The reset breaker also didn't trip which surprised me. I thought that would have been the primary failsafe. Nothing smells burnt, and I can't find any melted or broken connections. I have a new battery installed and measured 11V while cranking. Think I fried the CDI? It was good when I parked the ski, but then again it's been almost two years so maybe something went sideways while it was sitting? No way to know for sure. Anyway, I'm sure there's another person out there who has done this and has an idea of what might have failed, at least I hope so. Misery loves company I guess...

Anyway, thanks for any help. Hopefully I can get this sorted and water test before our lovely Michigan weather stops cooperating.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Original or Gen III ignition update CDI installed?

Original. 4060 180.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
    Original. 4060 180.
    So you have a genuine original Gen I magneto stator - hmmm.

There might be enough resale value in a ‘known good’ Gen I stator to partially pay for a Gen III CDI. Then find a good used OEM Gen III stator and you will have an upgraded ignition system.

Often the Gen I ignition stops working when the stator fails, so both are removed and a new Gen III ignition upgrade kit is installed. There are probably guys on here that have a ‘probably good’ Gen I CDI just sitting around. Somehow you have a still working Gen I stator. As long as that holds up another old CDI should get you back on the water.

Tip regarding the battery cable polarity: Put red tape next to the positive battery post.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3138023

Who knows if my stupidity caused the stator to fail too? I need to run through all of the tests before I even think about selling it to someone. I'll do that later today, but in the interest of using this for something good I went ahead and ordered a Gen III update kit that I managed to find. I'm thinking of trying to replace the stator from the front by tilting the fuel tank up like someone detailed in another thread, but I'm wondering if that's going to be just as much work as removing the engine again, especially now that I have experience doing it...? Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the idea about color coding the terminals and I'll do it. Sad thing is that I shouldn't have to though. I know better. I just need to stop working when I'm so exhausted.

Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by Viper Pilot; 09-12-2021 at 07:45 AM. Reason: sp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
    color coding the terminals … I shouldn't have to though. I know better. ...
    We all make mistakes. You might guess why I put the red tape on my own batteries

It is an industry-wide error that the common Powersports battery designs, widely used, have both battery posts looking physically the same. Same size bolts, same size cable ends. And the positive post might be on either end of the battery.

It is very easy to put the cables onto the incorrect sides. Often the ONLY indication of battery post polarity is a small molded in + symbol. And that marking is typically the same color as the rest of the battery top, often hard to see when working inside a PWC hull.

The PWC manufacturers know this, yet the on-board electronics are often enough not fully protected against reversed battery polarity.

The red tape is a simply a work-around for an inadequate battery post convention. And inadequate reverse polarity protection.

In the automotive world the positive battery post is often sized differently so it is difficult if not impossible to cross connect the big cables.

Gotta own the mistake. Still my screw up. Embarrassing.

I'll update when I get the new ignition system installed. Should be here in a few days.

Well get this...

I was doing some other tasks on the ski, primarily bleeding the oil and fuel lines, while waiting for my new ignition parts and was engaging the starter intermittently. Out of nowhere, the damn thing started. Completely took me by surprise. Pulled a plug out and there's a nice blue spark. There was nothing last night. It's fired up about 10 times in a row now. No idea how in the world that happened, but hopefully my new found luck continues long enough for me to make a few runs in the water and get any bugs worked out. If that happens, I'll keep the new ignition system and make that a project for next year. How this weirdness has happened I'll never know.

+1
    I do not like things that ‘fix themselves’.

It can unfix itself later, again (:

Yeah, I agree. Something is obviously not right and needs to be rectified. Won't be doing anything risky until I get that Gen III ignition system installed. Hopefully I can get a few runs near shore to verify the carb settings and check that off the list, and then I'll pull the engine again in the spring.

Regarding operating the engine on the hose, is there a time limit I shouldn't exceed or should I just rely on the temp sensor to tell me when to stop? It works and the MFD has total functionality as well. I was able to revive it a couple of years ago with the cleaning method detailed in another thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information