Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ngerk View Post
    The charging coil or rectifier shouldn't have an effect on how it runs though aside from charging the battery correct? I know if you run a total loss ignition (talking about other applications), you don't even need a regulator. That being said, I DID replace the rectifier before and it's not OEM, it was some new aftermarket unit.
    A bad rectifier/regulator can actually can cause the engine to malfunction. It turns AC into DC and if its bad, it can cause unstable voltage. On Sea Doo's, for diagnostic purposes, you can disconnect the regulator wire to disable the charging circuit, essentially turning it into a total loss system temporarily. If the symptoms go away while operating without the charging circuit, you've found the problem.

On Kawasaki's, it should work the same way, however maybe someone who has done it on a Kawa can chime in. The service manual has a test procedure to test the charging coil that involves unplugging the yellow 2-pin connector in order to measure the AC voltage while the engine is running. That should isolate the AC charging coil from the DC system that runs the ignition.
    Last edited by FL_Rider; 09-11-2021 at 11:26 PM.

Just verified the charging voltage is fine. I canít get the resistance to work correctly. It goes to zero. I remember not long after getting the ski, i had a charging issue and replaced the regulator and it fixed it. I also had a bad connector (pin was loose or something I think) on my electrical box (that houses the regulator) and I ended up getting a complete box for really cheap. That being said I have a spare regulator and I canít get resistance to read on either one so I donít know.

Ultra 150 WOT issue

I just really think it has nothing to do with the charging circuit of the ski. If itís electrical it should be either CDI or coil related.

I just got done swapping the fuel lines and filter. I noticed before swapping the lines, the filter looked like it barely had fuel in it when it was running which seems odd. The new filter is completely full of fuel when running.

+1
    The fuel filter should be about half full when running. It should be mounted above the carbs. If it's laying in the hull, it will probably fill up all the way. It should be mounted high to prevent a leak downstream of the filter from filling the hull with fuel.

Gotcha, Iíve always had it mounted in the same place. Itís higher than the carbs probably right below where the factory location was.

+1
    Mesh filter or paper?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ngerk View Post
    I just really think it has nothing to do with the charging circuit of the ski. If it’s electrical it should be either CDI or coil related.

I just got done swapping the fuel lines and filter. I noticed before swapping the lines, the filter looked like it barely had fuel in it when it was running which seems odd. The new filter is completely full of fuel when running.

Yes, it very well could be the coils, coil wires, or igniter. I figured the rectifier check was free and easy to check and rule out. Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Mesh filter or paper?
    Paper, I ordered it with the fuel lines because it was cheap. I ran the same one for a while with zero issues before swapping to the wix I just took off. I know some people donít like paper filters.

+1
    JetSkis don't like paper filters.

Just now took the Ultra back out yesterday after changing fuel lines and filter. Didnít ride too much but the water was really smooth since itís getting cooler and not much traffic since the lake level is dropping. After warming up, rode it really hard for about 15-20 minutes basically wide open the entire time. It didnít skip a beat. I had a spark tester with me and didnít even use it. Probably wonít have it out again until next season so until then Iím hoping itís all good now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information