Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

+1
    Thanks Jonesy! He said he probably does, and to call him tomorrow. This day just got better, hope it pans out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    I got the crank shipped out Thursday. I did not find any ferrous metal in the bottom of the case, only some powdered aluminum and grime. That made me feel better, but also glad I send the crank out for new bearings anyways.
    I cleaned up the carbs and started rebuilding them today. I got the 1/8 holes drilled out in the return passages. No problem with that.

Putting the check valves and grommets in the carbs--WTF? I screwed up 3 of the 6 before I figured out something that "kinda" worked to get them in without messing them up. I have ordered 6 more just in case I screw some of them up too.

Anyone know the trick on these f*&kers? Oh well, my jets won't come in until mid week so I'll just chill out for a few days.

I did get an electric bilge that I'll add into the hull. I think I'll go pull the battery box tomorrow so I can look around back there.
    Winderosa makes an installation tool for the check valve grommets. Makes installation a snap. In a pinch you can use a small Allen wrench. The Winderosa tool is well worth the money.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    Winderosa makes an installation tool for the check valve grommets. Makes installation a snap. In a pinch you can use a small Allen wrench. The Winderosa tool is well worth the money.
    Thats what we used, but I still pierced a few grommets.

+1
    Thanks for the info, now that I have learned about the tool, I have something similar that I can use that will do the job. Just when I think I have researched everything I need for this project, there's something else that comes up I didn't look into. Now I have found the sticky post on the check valves and grommets and know how to go forward. I'll inspect all the previous ones I got in over the weekend and install the replacement ones when they arrive with a new appreciation for the technique and requirements. I don't want to screw this up, I don't plan to rebuild this thing again any time soon.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Thanks for the info, now that I have learned about the tool, I have something similar that I can use that will do the job. Just when I think I have researched everything I need for this project, there's something else that comes up I didn't look into. Now I have found the sticky post on the check valves and grommets and know how to go forward. I'll inspect all the previous ones I got in over the weekend and install the replacement ones when they arrive with a new appreciation for the technique and requirements. I don't want to screw this up, I don't plan to rebuild this thing again any time soon.
    Just make sure they are installed properly..... they're only supposed to be installed one way

+1
    I did remember that part, got the stripe side up. I put the rest of the diaphragms in and buttoned up the fuel pump sides of the carbs.
    I fabricated a switch mount for the bilge pump in the fuel selector area. I need to button up the wiring but this is about ready to go. I had some carbon sheet leftover from years ago, so why not use it here.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210930_182834.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	479068
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210930_182823.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	479069

+1
    Pretty slick.

We used that area to install the primer. The other side will be getting the gauge.

+1
    I finally finished something and started putting this ski back together. I got all the wiring finished for the bilge pump and the FF exhaust back in place. Put the battery box and ECU back in the aft bulkhead and tightened it all up. Feels good to see it start to go back together.

I received the head from WFO yesterday, my engine will not know what to do with such a nice smooth head again. Thanks for the hook up Jonsey, and especially Rich at WFO. Now the real waiting begins for the cylinders and crank to come in. I have the parts for the carbs to do the regulator side this weekend, and then I'm pretty much at a stop until the motor parts come in. I have some cleaning I can do and such, but the 3-4 weeks it'll take to start building the power plant are not going to be easy to wait out.

9. +1 by:

+1
    You’re very welcome bro!!! Glad Rich hooked you up…. He will also assist you with any questions you may have. He has been doing this for a loooooooooong time!!!

+1
    I've been searching for the rear seal oil port mod, and am not finding much except some screen shots of the Group K post from (somewhere??). Can anyone point me to what rear port should be sealed, and how and with what?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information