Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks for sharing.Your findings are actually what we've been seeing on pretty much every ski we've tried Riva grates on going back to the GPR days.They usually use an offshore design that scoops up a little too much water and really works better on stockish skis.A ski hull can also come out of its mold just a little different and what works for one may not work for the rest.Its always best to test one change at a time so we can always go back to what works without driving ourselves mad

2. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by NicksPerformance View Post
    Stock nozzle and cone. Stock steering nozzle as well.

went and did some tests today. I used the riva gen 2 ride plate today as it stuffs WAYYY low mph with that plate Iím assuming due to the angle of the ski.

Test 1- sealed intake grate as best I could (stock 21 grate) with a ton of 4200 behind the grate between the transome and grate. Pulled the pump and stuck my hand into the transom to smooth the oozing silicone so it was a smooth seal. I sealed all over the stock seal to the transome and to the intake grate. I also put a bead of silicone on the seal before bolting the ride plate up and also used 4200 to seal between the grate and the ride plate. I have never sealed it THIS well before and sure enough, stuffs at 70mph on the money everytime and starts bucking.

Test 2- Took the ski back to the launch and loaded it up on the trailer. Laid under the ski and removed the intake grate and ride plate. Removed all the silicone(two hours almost) and bolted it back up with NO epoxy or ANYTHING in the back on the stock grate besides how it comes from yamaha with the rubber seal. Result, no stuffing no matter the trim level on the riva gen 2 ride plate and it was actually very stable as I usually donít ride on this plate so I noticed the difference, no bouncing when cruising at 70-75. Top speed 84.7 mph sitting straight up with a full tank of gas and rolling on the throttle.

Test 3 - Deans cut plate and same intake grate setup. No sealant added anywhere besides the residue that was on the bolt holes of the ride plate. GPS 86.2 sitting straight up still with full tank of gas rolling on the throttle.

Cavitation observation. Yes the riva one launches harder but marginally and not something I plan to run as most of the fast (100mph+) skis down here in Florida say stay away from the riva grate. Stock grate will be staying on my ski with the deans cut plate and no silicone. This setup doesnít cavitate anymore or less then when it was sealed up fully with the stock grate.

I notice almost 0 difference at all in back to back testing between sealed stock or unsealed stock grate. The riva grate does launch harder like I said but leaning forward over the bars on the launch and not just ripping it wide open itís manageable but Iím 90% sure anything with this much power is going to cavitate no matter what.

Grew some balls before I left with current setup and no sealant laying down on the ski from a 20mph launch GPS 89.8.

as long as Iím not going to get tossed off the ski now I can play with smaller nozzles to increase thrust and maybe have a consistent 92-94 mph ski not just when itís cold out.

All the tests I did were with both seats on in 100+ degree heat and 80% or better humidity.

I hope someone finds this post if theyre having this problem before they hurt themselves.
    Thanks for sharing This is awesome information! Glad you solved the problem! its interesting how many follow the same tradition to seal up everything and its not necessarily the best option for every ski

+1
    Both your videos are private so cant view them.

+1
    The riva gen 2 intake grate fits like absolute crap on the 21 compared to the stock one but Iím not sure how that could possibly cause this.
    Not sure if itís my luck or the fact that I have a 21 but this is the second intake grate they had to give me as the first one wouldnít fit no matter how much you grind on it.
    Whoa! Something is not right here. The intake grate should fit perfectly. The fact that you tried two different grates and still had fitment issues tells me something is off on your ski. I have not heard any other complaints from people saying the Gen2 grate fit poorly.... so lets evaluate your next post below

The intake grate was even with the ride plate and I siliconed over the small gap between them. No cracks or anything, just finished removing the old silicone.
    The grate should NOT fit flush with the ride plate. There should actually be a step between the grate and ride plate... intake grate sits lower. This tells me that something has to be off with your transom plate. I bet your transom plate has sagged and not mounted fully up inside the pump tunnel. This will also cause an overstuff.
    I know guys running the Gen2 grate on the GP over 90 mph and not even a hint of a stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    Both your videos are private so cant view them.
    It’s set to let people view it with the link. It doesn’t work when you click it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Whoa! Something is not right here. The intake grate should fit perfectly. The fact that you tried two different grates and still had fitment issues tells me something is off on your ski. I have not heard any other complaints from people saying the Gen2 grate fit poorly.... so lets evaluate your next post below

The grate should NOT fit flush with the ride plate. There should actually be a step between the grate and ride plate... intake grate sits lower. This tells me that something has to be off with your transom plate. I bet your transom plate has sagged and not mounted fully up inside the pump tunnel. This will also cause an overstuff.
    I know guys running the Gen2 grate on the GP over 90 mph and not even a hint of a stuff.
    I thought the same thing about the intake grate but on the 21 it doesn’t fit properly and riva actually told me they’re aware of it as did dean and told me I had to grind it a bit on the front and that was the only place it really contacted the hull. Other then that it fits fine. I’m extremely ocd and I do suppose I could’ve just bolted it on and it would’ve been okay but I didn’t like it pushing so hard on the front where it meets the hull.

the transom is dead nuts even with the tunnel, I’ll try and post a pic. All the bolts are tight as well.

the riva Gen 2 rideplate deplanes at 70 which you can see the video on another thread I made. Then when I switched back to the stock plate with a cut I thought the issue was resolved and got tossed off the ski at 90 last week.

Jerry, hereís a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF5D3C9D-7CC1-4C02-9EDD-AD7A55122C34.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	478710  

+1
    Jerry, here’s a pic
    Yep, it looks all the way up. That surprises me as I felt sure your transom plate was sagging a bit.

Hereís the plate and grate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3DE0C10-C347-4692-ACFA-0087C0AC4530.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	478711  

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information