Rotax 1503 2005 Crankshaft sensor angle

Hello,
    I decided to replace all the electronics from my sea doo rxt 215 2005 model with maxxecu which is standalone ECU.
    My question is that what is the angle between the crankshaft position sensor and the first tooth when cylinder 1 is TDC?
    I've had best luck so far by guessing 300 degrees and ignition angle locked to 10 degrees BTDC. With that i got the motor to run one second before turning off.
    I haven't had any luck finding the angle on the internet. So if any of you might have information to share that would be helpful

Thanks!

+1
    Has that ECU ever been used on 3 cylinder Rotax motors? Unless they have a custom trigger setup for this motor you may have a hard time starting. These motor don't have a consistent RPM during cranking which can cause trigger detection issues on stand alone ECU.

Yep the ECU should work with the 3 sylinder motor.
    I'm using this one https://www.maxxecu.com/products/street
    First tooth angle is unknown at the moment so I need to get that right first so I can solve different problems next if the jet is not starting.
    Was able to get the ecu to sync with the cam and crank, but i guess the angle is wrong.

Also was wondering about the firing order of the motor, but that i was able to find that it should be 1,2,3. Not 100% sure, but if someone can confirm that.

Got the jet running.
    I can confirm that the angle is 300 BTDC for the sensor (-300).
    And the firing order is 1,2,3. Problem was that I did not have "Ignore second missing gap" enabled.
    Ill include the maxxecu trigger settings here in case of anyone needing these.
    NOTE: Lock ignition angle should be disabled. i used these settings just to get it running. Tweaking is needed to do to get it to run perfectly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxxecu settings.PNG 
Views:	100 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	478304  

I am getting ready to put one on a 08 rxp. So thanks for the info. What did you do for a timing mark to check ignition timing?

Quote Originally Posted by bags50lx View Post
    I am getting ready to put one on a 08 rxp. So thanks for the info. What did you do for a timing mark to check ignition timing?
    I did not do any disassembly of the engine. I got the angle mostly by guessing and trying to start the engine.

One thing that i also did was that i took the supercharger inlet pipe off and turned the supercharger with a ratchet.
    Then i was able to determinate a position where i got signal from camshaft. It was when cylinder 3 was TDC.
    When there is a signal from camshaft sensor it is around the same position as first tooth from crankshaft.
    My friend was able to calculate the first tooth angle from that somehow. I'm not sure how, but he said that it should be around 300 or 660.

So are you also going to use the maxxecu? If so i might be able to help in case if you need any help.

My next problem with the jet is that its not idling very well. Might be able to resolve it just by tweaking settings.

Also some update. I was able to install O2 sensor to the exhaust manifold with the help from this. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193334
    That was a really tricky drilling but was able to do it. Also i have i small problem with the O2 sensor. Its showing 2.4 in maxxecu software and sometimes dropping to the 0.8 and showing error. Might just be damaged O2 sensor. Need to dig deeper with that.

Hattu,

I have a 03 4-tec Iím doing a stand-alone ecu on also. Maybe you could help me with a couple things on the wiring harness Iím trying to figure out what pins are the ground, hot, and signal wires on the cam sensor and which is the signal wire on the crank sensor. I am using a fuel tech system and have all my software settings looking right just donít wanna guess on the pinouts of those sensors.

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterFabWorx View Post
    Hattu,

I have a 03 4-tec Iím doing a stand-alone ecu on also. Maybe you could help me with a couple things on the wiring harness Iím trying to figure out what pins are the ground, hot, and signal wires on the cam sensor and which is the signal wire on the crank sensor. I am using a fuel tech system and have all my software settings looking right just donít wanna guess on the pinouts of those sensors.

Dustin
    Im not so sure what kind of motor you have, but with mine 1503 model.

From the 1503 model shop manual i got this:

So
    1: GROUND
    2: SIGNAL
    3: +12V

Crank sensor is probably VR type sensor (2 wires).
    That sensor generates AC signal so it does not matter which is which because the signal jumps across the zero to both sides.

This is from the maxxecu wiring diagram

Only possible way to test the crank sensor is to turn the motor with the starter. You should be able to see signal like this one with an oscilloscope or build in oscilloscope in the standalone ecu.

Hope this helps you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camManual.PNG 
Views:	61 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	478724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.PNG 
Views:	57 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	478725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-08-28 at 10.41.55.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	478726  

Mine is a 1503 as well it’s a 03 gtx limited the first year of the 185hp supercharged setup... I greatly appreciate your help sir!

Thread Information