Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer size

Trailer size

So I've ordered a 2022 waverunner. I currently have a nice condition older black karavan trailer. It's seems like trailers for PWC are basically 2 sizes, one about 1 to 2 feet shorter than the other. The one i have is the shorter one. Are these shorter ones ok for the big new mammoth skis? Or do I need to keep looking for the bigger version? Mine has 5ft bunks (which can obviously be made longer) and is 7'3" from the outside of the rearmost cross brace to the crotch of the trailer.

Thanks!

+1
    I’m absolutely no expert, but the new ski is 11 feet long, I don’t think 4 feet hanging off the back is at all ideal. Plus it will weigh over 800 pounds with fuel…doubt the older trailer is rated for that weight. Bite the bullet and pony up for a new trailer. You’ll be sad if the old one dumps your new $18000 investment on the ground over a matter of about $1000…just saying

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Post your trailer year, make and model.

I suspect your current trailer would be marginal at best. I have seen many examples of undersized trailers carrying PWC that are simply too large to fit the trailer properly. These undersized trailers did not collapse (well, none of the ones I have encountered) but typically the rear of the hull is hanging WAY beyond the back frame of the trailer.

And often the winch tower cannot be adjusted forward enough to get the hull fully onto the bunks and provide the proper tongue weight. And/or the winch roller is not high enough to properly support the bow.

Using an under-sized trailer can create risks. The trailer may not handle well during sudden emergency maneuvering at highways speeds, or behave badly during very hard braking at speed.

A longer trailer not only tows well, it is easier to manage when reversing at the launch ramp.

A well chosen new(er) trailer should also be nice to use. Easy to adjust the bunks and winch position to fit the hull, and provides excellent secure tie down from the hull to the trailer.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3141796

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3141653

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2886573

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3134270

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3100127

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3099795

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3099272

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2938085

I'll get the model number in the morning. I found this one on local craigslist, asking price 975. Not sure what year, but man these wheels look small. I don't think anyone has new trailers in stock within hundreds of miles. 975 seems a bit much for a used trailer, but this size is good right? The LT (this one) is bigger than the LXT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01010_7FigDMIpTGzz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	478263  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbo268 View Post
    … I found this one on local craigslist, asking price 975. Not sure what year, but man these wheels look small.

… this size is good right? The LT (this one) is bigger than the LXT
    That looks like a recent model year Triton and looks to be the longer frame size. I do like the Triton trailers overall and that looks like a competent choice.

I cannot say from the photo which tire size is installed.

Triton sells larger tire options for most trailer models.
    The Triton LT series lists these tire sizes on the PDF brochure
    4.80 X 12C

Upgrade/optional tire sizes
    ST145/R12E
    ST145/R12E ALUM.

On my own Triton double I installed 13 inch size wheels and tires. On the single PWc Triton trailer the 12 inch wheel+tire size might be the largest that will fit under the fender.

lets say those are some weird size like 10inch tires. Does that actually make a difference other than faster wear because of more rotations? And k447, I've seen a lot of your posts, replies, and advice, and not sure if enough people say thank you for all your input for many of "our" random, repetitive, and sometimes outright stupid questions, but thanks!

and this is basically the size of my trailer at home, and about the size of a 22 yamaha fxho..... so judging by your posts, I need to sell it.

Name:	239888129_4125975897501616_3062496565550371339_n.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	478265  

+1
    lets say those are some weird size like 10inch tires. Does that actually make a difference other than faster wear because of more rotations?

… k447 … thanks!
    Thank you.

Smaller trailer tires typically have a lesser weight load rating, and may have a lower maximum speed rating when fully loaded.

The tires must carry the weight of the trailer itself plus the fully loaded and fuel weight of your PWC.

If you tow faster than the tire’s rated maximum ‘fully loaded’ speed (65mph for many tires, IIRC) then the tire weight capacity is reduced (the maximum load spec for the tire is de-rated if towing speed is increased). So you want a trailer tire that is rated for significantly more weight than the loaded trailer actually weighs, so there is some headroom to withstand the extra tire heating from fast towing.

Unless there is a compelling reason to use smaller tires my own preference is to install the largest size wheels and tires that will reasonably fit under the fenders, including during maximum spring compression that might occur when going over an extreme road bump.

I will mention that ST trailer tires have a maximum rated lifespan of only seven years. Measured from the manufacture date coded on the sidewall. My own practice is to replace trailer tires at the end of their fifth year. Does not matter how much tread depth remains or how ‘good’ they look.

Elsewhere on GH I have posted extensively about ST trailer tires, load ratings, DOT date codes and air pressure.

+1
    … this is basically the size of my trailer at home, and about the size of a 2022 yamaha fx ho..... so judging by your posts ...

Another member recently posted these photos of his newly delivered Yamaha. We can use it as an example of an indifferently configured trailer. Not terrible, but could be adjusted to be better. &

From the side view we can see that the hull extends beyond the rear end of the support bunks (yellow arrow). This creates stress in the hull bottom where the bunks end and the hull weight is cantilevered beyond.

The rear tie down straps are angled quite far from vertical because the hull extends so far back from the trailer frame (red arrow). So far that the owner has added cloth padding to hold the strap away from the paint finish (see yellow circle in second photo).

Optimal is for the rear straps to be near vertical or even angled slightly forward.

At the front, the winch tower base can be moved forwards (orange arrow) so the hull can move forward. The bow roller (green arrow) should be adjusted to press against the hull # just above the hull bow eye. The idea is that the roller supports and holds the front of the hull up while the winch strap pulls the hull tightly against the roller. The bow cannot flex downwards nor bounce upwards, it moves as one with the trailer.

The hull tie down loops are under the rub rail, on side of the reboarding step (red circle). These are the primary points that are used to hold the hull in place at the back. Optimal is for the straps to be near vertical or angled outwards slightly, when viewed from the rear.

In the photo we can see that the Triton trailer has factory installed tie down points on the trailer rear cross frame (red arrows) but they are too close together, causing the tie down straps to angle inwards. It should be possible to drill new attachment holes * farther out towards the tail lamps, either into the rear face or into the bottom face of the cross frame. This would improve the strap angles.

* Before making holes into the trailer frame it is important to move aside the wiring for the trailer lights, which runs inside the frame. The rear brake lights simply push in on one end and then can be wiggled out, allowing access to the wires inside.

There is plenty of strength in the trailer, making a few more holes does not weaken it. When I have added attachment holes for ratchet straps the holes are typically about 3/4” size and maybe 1/4” to 3/8” in from the frame edge, so the ratchet strap hook can easily fit into the hole and tension against the side of the frame member.

# I have found that the blue roller material used by Triton tends to be hard on the Yamaha paint. I upgraded my own Triton to use Stoltz orange rollers, which are a softer material.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3062835

& I cannot tell from the photos whether the bunk spacing of the example trailer is a good match for the hull. Typically I find the bunks are not correctly spaced, often with one or two of the hull bottom ridges pressing hard into the bunk carpet. Properly spaced bunks fit between the hull ridges and support the flat areas of the hull between the strakes.

Just recently I helped a friend adjust the bunks under his brand new 2021 GP1800 SVHO. It had only been launched and reloaded onto the trailer twice since he picked it up from the dealer, yet the brand new bunks already had deep ridges gouged into the bunk carpet from the hull strakes. We lifted the hull carefully and adjusted the bunks to properly fit under the hull.

Name:	4A60A0C0-7EFE-4253-A62C-4E873AF9C48C.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	478276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45415EF7-1041-4090-930A-2224634AA2C3.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	478277  

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I'll get the model number in the morning. I found this one on local craigslist, asking price 975. Not sure what year, but man these wheels look small. I don't think anyone has new trailers in stock within hundreds of miles. 975 seems a bit much for a used trailer, but this size is good right? The LT (this one) is bigger than the LXT

Somebody put 8 inch wheels on that trailer. Triton doesn’t use anything smaller than 12 inch. For 975 id jump all over that trailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information