Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

1996 polaris sltx 1050

Hello i have a 1996 sltx 1050. I am installing a ignition upgrade kit into it. And there is a jumper wire that is hooked between the purple wire from the stator to cdi. Looks like it has a diode in it also has a yellow wire coming out of it. i can not seem to find any info on what this is used for or if i need it with the new upgrade ignition kit. Thanks for any help in advance.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Picture please.

+1
    Sorry Guys Got sick and was gone for a bit. Now time to get to the bottom of this. Hopefully i can get some answers lol. Here is the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210901_144357.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	479172  

I can't tell from the pic, but is that a solid purple wire or a purple wire with a red stripe? I was initially thinking that it might some weird version of the jumper wire that's intended for the service bulletin that specified the relocation of the purple/red wire out of the CDI to an orange terminal to prevent lack of hot restarts. However, it looks like a male spade connector so that wouldn't work at all. Maybe I can't tell from the pic though. Is that a male connector on the yellow wire or a female that's facing the wrong way so I can't see it properly?

+1
    It is a male connector on the yellow. And the other wire is just a solid color.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I was hoping you would take a pic of it installed.

I don't have any idea what that might be for. My initial thought was it was the jumper harness that Polaris sold for bulletin PWC-00-05, but the connectors and configuration don't match up at all. The OGs here have more knowledge than I do on this type of stuff, but in all of the research I have done on the ignition systems I never came across anything like that. Guessing you can throw it in the garbage, or at least put it in a dark corner of the garage.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KRR View Post
    Hello i have a 1996 sltx 1050.

I am installing a ignition upgrade kit into it.

And there is a jumper wire that is hooked between the purple wire from the stator to cdi. Looks like it has a diode in it also has a yellow wire coming out of it.

i can not seem to find any info on what this is used for or if i need it with the new upgrade ignition kit. Thanks for any help in advance.
    Have a look through the PDF Service Bulletin document.

I vaguely recall there was a problem with ‘some’ year/model where the yellow wire feeding the RPM signal to the dash tachometer was creating unreliable RPM readings. The engine was running just fine wit the dash was not showing properly RPM numbers.

The fix was to instead feed the MFD tach signal (Yellow wire going to the dash) from a different stator signal. I suspect that is what you have there.

If you can find the pertinent Service Bulletin it should have the specifics on what model/year was affected and how the fix was installed.

Note that ONLY the yellow tach wire to the dash was re-routed.
    The Yellow wires for stator and LR module remain in factory configuration.

I think that service bulletin only applied to the Fuji 780, unless you're thinking about a different bulletin than I am?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
    I think that service bulletin only applied to the Fuji 780, unless you're thinking about a different bulletin than I am?
    Perhaps. I have not looked at the bulletin PDF in a long time. And the set I have is incomplete.

If the part in the photo matches the service bulletin part, then that may well be what it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information