Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

My Stiff Noisy Steering Fix

I have owned some Sea Doo watercraft for as long as 18 and 21 years and never had to lube the steering column.
    I don't know what the deal is with the columns used in the newer units, but they seem to be problematic.
    My 18 PX was draggy with a bad squeak from day 1. I just thought it was the nature of it.
    My 21 PX only has 15 hours and developed a serious binding issue that had to be addressed.

I removed the top console and removed the retaining ring and took a look. I pulled the column up and out of the bushings. The plastic bushings were dry with a little of the XPS synthetic grease residue. I had some of the same grease so I greased it and put it back together. Works very well.

My thoughts were how long will this last? Is there a better grease. So I checked my 18. The grease was totally gone and dried up film was all there was. Clearly, the carrier solvent had evaporated or had been washed out. I cleaned the surfaces and applied a thick coat of Molycoat 111 silicone grease. It is much thicker with better wash out properties. It is not sag run or drop out like the XPS.

My steering is smoother with the 111 than the XPS and time will tell how it holds up. The problem was not the cable, but the column bushings. The job was pretty easy on both generations, little easier on the 21. Lube those columns.

+1
    I use the blue envirude tube , it wonít dilute or wash away with water .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DR2006RXP View Post
    I use the blue envirude tube , it won’t dilute or wash away with water .
    I bet the Triple Guard grease would work great as well. Most folks will have a tube of that on the shelf.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    I bet the Triple Guard grease would work great as well. Most folks will have a tube of that on the shelf.
    Doubt it. Amazon does though!

Amazon.com: Ski-Doo New OEM Triple Guard Grease, 296000329 : Automotive

I feel like I only paid about 7 bucks for it last time I bought it...might be from a few years ago though

+1
    This is a great suggestion-those bushings don't last and are very noisy. I hesitate to try lubing them because of the challenge of disassembling those plastic panels around the handlebars.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    This is a great suggestion-those bushings don't last and are very noisy. I hesitate to try lubing them because of the challenge of disassembling those plastic panels around the handlebars.
    It's simple and only one panel on your 2018.
    Take out the two screws under each mirror and the one at the top of the gauge bezel. Push the trim piece towards the back of the ski and remove. Lift the rubber mat and remove the two 10mm bolts on the retaining ring. Lift the column up and out of the bushings. Clean, lube and replace.

+1
    Thatís the one I was talking about just didnít remember the name Ö

+1
    It's simple and only one panel on your 2018.
    Take out the two screws under each mirror and the one at the top of the gauge bezel. Push the trim piece towards the back of the ski and remove. Lift the rubber mat and remove the two 10mm bolts on the retaining ring. Lift the column up and out of the bushings. Clean, lube and replace.
    Thank you so much for this tip! I had no idea it was that easy. I used Molykote 111 since I had it in my drawer and I know it is compatible with polymers. The bushings were dry from 170 hours of use and now the squeaks are gone and it feels like I have power steering!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    Thank you so much for this tip! I had no idea it was that easy. I used Molykote 111 since I had it in my drawer and I know it is compatible with polymers. The bushings were dry from 170 hours of use and now the squeaks are gone and it feels like I have power steering!
    I know, my steering was so slick, it did feel like power steering.
    I also selected the Molykote 111 because of no petroleum and would not be an issue with any plastics or unseen O-rings.
    Glad to help.

+1
    I know, my steering was so slick, it did feel like power steering.
    I also selected the Molykote 111 because of no petroleum and would not be an issue with any plastics or unseen O-rings.
    Glad to help.
    I used triple guard grease. Steering feels much mother on my 19px. Triple guard is fine for o-rings and plastic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information